• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heres a good one for you guys?

grn98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Cherokee, 4.0 auto, 123,000 miles. I just bought this a couple months ago. Whenever I fill up with gas, the next couple of days there is a real strong gas smell outside the vehicle. I am not spilling any, there are no visual leaks (in the back by the tank, or up in engine compartment). The smell is especially strong, when I park in the garage.

Do you guys have any ideas?

I cannot remember what year the fuel filter moved to the inside of the tank (either the 97 redesign or sometime thereafter) but on my 94 I had the same problem; I could smell gas but I couldn't see any, it was only a few weeks before it started dripping a little, turned out it was the fuel filter.

You may have a bad gas cap, make sure the "O" ring gasket is intack and there are no cracks in the gasket or anywhere else on the cap. Check the filler hose and vent hose for damage.

Went through a similar situation after a fuel pump replacement. The "o" ring seal at the top of tank at the fuel pump failed.

I had not even thought about checking the gas cap for cracks or to make sure it was sealing correctly. I will check that and check out the o-ring on the fuel tank. Thanks for the ideas. I will let you know what I find out.

Well, I know it is not the gas cap. I replaced it last night, and this morning the gas smell was just as bad as it was before. I did not have time to check anything else, I should get to that this weekend.

weewillys said:
Went through a similar situation after a fuel pump replacement. The "o" ring seal at the top of tank at the fuel pump failed.

Where did you get another O ring? mine is leaking profusely, but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

Back