• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drawing air from pass side?

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
this last week I made a few changes to my engine compartment. moved a few things here, made more room there, now I am wondering if I can benefit from drawing air from the passenger side of the engine compartment as opposed to the drivers side?
I have the K&N FIPK, but was thinking since there is now plenty of room, and less heat (exhuast manifold) I could make a tube to go over the engine and down a bit to suck some cooler air. Maybe in time rig up a snorkel, maybe on the pass side who knows.
Any thought on whether I would see any benefit from this, is it worth the time to track down some tubing to fab this up? I am not expecting huge gains (or any for that matter) just piece of mind for doing something different. I thought maybe the intake for a Wrangler would angle over there nicely.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Seems to me running the tube across the engine would defeat the point of a cool air intake. Unless you do some good beefy shielding. Then there is also the issue of space above the engine with a large enough tube.

that's not a bad idea. matter fact, the jeep wrangler came like that from the factory.

coilrail.jpg

AEMFreedom001.jpg

MongoXJ said:
Seems to me running the tube across the engine would defeat the point of a cool air intake. Unless you do some good beefy shielding. Then there is also the issue of space above the engine with a large enough tube.

I would think using plastic like the K&N or stock ones would insulate enough to negate the heat problem, not to mention the air would be moving so fast it wouldn't have much time to heat up anyway. If I used metal pipe I would probably wrap it for insulation aswell.

Ya looking under those hoods it seemed like a good idea. Now to find the goods to do it myself.

Back