• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Errr-errr-errr noise/wobble during sharp turn

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
When i make a sharp left turn at slow speeds (turning into a parking space) i get this squeeling errr-errr-errr noise along with a little shimmy in my wheels.......i thought it was either the axle ujoints or the wheel bearings

so i jack up the front end and turn to lock in both directions and spin the wheels to see if i get any noise/binding in the ujoints.....there's none, the joints seem fine

so i turn the wheels back to center and spin each one again to check for play or grinding in the bearings......none, they seem fine also

so i check the torque on the steering box bolts, 75 lb ft. so they're fine also

what else can i check????? this is frustrating

knew i forgot something....

stock suspension, stock size tires (225/70/16), and inflated to 35psi

i'm starting to get worried that i might have to replace ball joints, uh oh

I'd stay on the axle ujoints. 99% probability that's the noise maker. Pulling the shafts is quite easy, takes at most 20 minutes per side. Pull the tire, remove the brake caliper (set it aside/tie it up to avoid harming the brake line) pull rotor, remove three 12 point bolts on the insideof the knuckle and remove axle shaft. Look for slop/loose/ or spinning end caps at the ujoint.

When you had it up did you grasp the tire on top and bottom and attempt to move the tire. Did it move. It it moves top to bottom it's ball joints.

DaffyXJ said:
When you had it up did you grasp the tire on top and bottom and attempt to move the tire. Did it move. It it moves top to bottom it's ball joints.
Or bearings.

Back