• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel Bearing Suggestions

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I am cheap and my whole jeep is built cheap! I want a cheap replacement for both of my front wheel bearing assemblies. They are the original ones and both have gone bad. I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4wd Inline 6 4.0liter. Is it possible to just replace the bearings without replacing the whole unit if so how, where and how much? If I don't replace ever what could happen? Tire fall off? Thanks!

I'd go to the pick and pull and get hubs off another. I think the whole hub assembly would be cheaper then replacing just the bearings. Not sure I just put in used hubs. As far as could tell when I've pulled hubs numerous times the hub and bearings are together. It isn't like a regular car where you pop out the bearing and grease them. They are pressed into the hub.

Hah, talking cheap! We've nicknamed the vehicles in our driveway "The Rolling Junkyard". I've picked and pulled my way to a lot of savings over the years. However, for the amount of effort to get the hubs off the vehicle, coupled with the fact that you don't really know the condition of the hubs from a yard, this is one part I would suggest going "new".

scca28 said:
Hah, talking cheap! We've nicknamed the vehicles in our driveway "The Rolling Junkyard". I've picked and pulled my way to a lot of savings over the years. However, for the amount of effort to get the hubs off the vehicle, coupled with the fact that you don't really know the condition of the hubs from a yard, this is one part I would suggest going "new".

West Coast stuff doesn't get the corrosion the Rust Belt does. There is

some decent stuff in the Pick and Pulls here.

I show my face and do a walk though the yards every couple of weeks. After awhile you can spot fresh parts. You can spot a fairly new wheel bearing, even a repaired door and the likelihood of a new window motor etc.
Besides, generally, the guys at the yards are pretty good bunch. Another thing, they often have some useful reference books and data bases.

Back