• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gear leak from adjustment cap. Tips for fixing it.

Patrick S.

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I have a PS leak coming from the treads where the adjustment cap threads onto the steering box (at the input shaft end). This just started after I got a new PS Pump, so I’m assuming the O-ring gave up after the increased pressure.

I read some posts suggesting just to get a new box but beside that leak the box works fine and I’d really like to avoid getting a new or rebuilt box.

I replaced the pitman arm seals on my previous Jeep, a 1983 Wagoneer and it worked out fine, but the manual gives no procedure for just the input shaft end seal change, only a complete overhaul.

I would assume its best to do this procedure off the car. Was planning on measuring the exact treads the cap is screwed on, replacing the dust boot, seal and o ring and putting it back together.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Patrick
93 XJ

how bad is the leak? Have you tried any Lucas power steering addative?

The Lucas works great and usually stops most small leaks.

It's worst after shut down. Drop every 30 sec. or so. Forms a small puddle and then stops leaking. I don't think a stop leak additive would cut it I’m my case.

If it's not too hard I'd like to fix, I have the o-ring, seal and dust seal required. I’m just a bit cautious on the procedure.

Thanks!

Patrick

Hi All,

A week now since I replaced the dust boot, seal and o ring on the input shaft; again have a leak free Steering Box!

For the record, if anyone else runs into this problem, it's not difficult at all.

Just keep note of the original position of adjusting screw nut so adjustment is not changed.

Once I got cap off I found the O-ring hard and cracked in one part.

If you have a dial torque wrench you can check the steering effort specs while you have the box off the car.

Patrick

Back