• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter switch problems

cajunbull61

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 91 recently that had a push button switch installed by the previous owner. The key would turn about a quarter of an inch and the battery lite would come on and the fuel pump would fire up. Push the button and it would start... in any gear etc. I replaced the starter switch, key cylinder, cable from the shifter to column, rebuilt the NSS etc. Everything seems to operate propely but it will not start, like theres no power going to the starter. I disconected the wire for the push button starter and reconnected the original(brown) wire to the small starter lug. They had also run a wire from the starter lug that the red battery cable attatches to to a clamp that was laying next to the radiator overflow bottle.I found this to be strange, a ground wire to the positive lug on the starter??? Any one have any ideas??? I have to get this going before my daughter heads off to school next month.

try to check all fuse links.
they have a small black area not far from where they connect to the relay, that is the fuse part.
i think they all tie together at the starter relay, on the fenderwall.
there is one to the ignition switch only, and maybe that was the original reason for the push to start switch...
i'm reading off an 87-90 print
i don't have info for the diagnostics connectors under the dash, but they probably have a pin that should go to ground from the NSS to check that part's alignment
as part of elimination.

Last edited:
Is there another relay besides the one in the power distribution box under the hood? I have a 93 wiring diagram that shows a starter relay but it's not clear if that is different from the distribution box relay.

the starter relay is very near the battery, on the sidewall.
I don't think any of the others are for starter.

the original wire that goes to the starter is green. Make sure it is connected both to the starter and the under hood fuse box. Then make sure the relay is good (doesn't look burnt). I have a relay that I popped apart so I can manually make it connect, which helps to diagnos some problems.

I found a relay thats bolted to the overflow bottle bracket. I cleaned the lugs and metal mounting strap but no luck. I may try swapping it out for the one on my 92. This is really getting frustrating. If I put a test lite on the brown wire at the starter while trying to crank, I should get power at my lite right?

cygnus58 said:
try to check all fuse links.
they have a small black area not far from where they connect to the relay, that is the fuse part.
i think they all tie together at the starter relay, on the fenderwall.
there is one to the ignition switch only, and maybe that was the original reason for the push to start switch...
i'm reading off an 87-90 print
i don't have info for the diagnostics connectors under the dash, but they probably have a pin that should go to ground from the NSS to check that part's alignment
as part of elimination.

I haven't found any fuse links for the starter or anything else for that matter. I looked at a 93 wiring diagram and it doesn't show any fuse links. I hate to hasta but this is getting frustrating.:flamemad: :flamemad: :flamemad:

Re: Starter switch problems ...FINALLY FIXED!!!!!!

Ok, I've been working on this for a couple of weeks now and finally figured out what was wrong. After replacing the key cylinder and the starter switch and it not starting, I pulled the starter relay and checked it. It was good, so I start checking connections with the test lite. No power at the battery lug on the starter relay socket.After taking the power distribution box nearly apart, I discovered the fuse next to the ignition fuse was blown. According to the diagram it is for the heated rear window...NOT.Swapped in another fuse and she cranked. It doesn't even have a heated rear window. I also noticed the slot labeled 40a fuse block was empty but the next slot that's not labeled has a 40a fuse in it????? Thanks for the help and suggestion!

Back