• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stubborn D44 carrier

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
got any tips for getting the carrier out? I can't get a case spreader today, I've completely shredded two towells trying to get it to walk out and hae only gotten one side to move 1/4"

now I think I'm screwed, one side has popped out enough that I think it's wedged in place. I can't get the cap on to clamp it back in.

I used a ratchet strap and a small bottle jack tp pull it out ,but the axle was on the ground.
Wayne

a ratchet strap to the front or rear tow point around the carrier got mine out...

also try a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer on the ring gear to hit the carrier to the side that it has already popped out some.

had to crank the left side in with the caps then used a ratchet to pull it free.
Now my punch has broken in the stupid hole for the pin. Unbelieveable.

You think home depot carries punch sets? Nope

rehab said:
i just used two big pry bars and it came out with a little effort

I always used the same method until I got a case spreader.

One time I used some chain, and a power puller attached to the bumper.

TwistedSymphony said:
I just used some nails to push the broken punch out. Then I got a better punch.
broken two punches now, the last one broke about 1/4" above the hole, tried to drive it out from the other end with a smaller punch, which broke. I fucking give up. I'm going to cut it flat with a dremel so it doesn't rub something and put the damn thing back together, this shit isn't worth it.

John90XJ said:
Are you sure you're driving it out the correct direction?

No but it doesn't matter at this point as I can't go either direction, anyway the writeup I had showed it needed to go from the center out.

take the roll pin out of the cross pin and then use a 2 jaw gear puller against the cross pin (which is resting on the pinion gear) to pull it out. also a slide hammer works too! i just did a D60 using the gear puller method, works fantabulous!!!!! just getting the roll pin out is a bitch, have to have small/long punch.....

Frank Z said:
There's the problem. The roll pin MUST be driven out from the left side as you are looking at the carrier.

Yes, from left to right as it sits in the diff, or from the center out, same thing.
I didn't know it mattered, that's just how the directions showed it should go.

I think this thing has been rebuilt judging from the new fluid, elongated hole around the roll pin, and beat marks on the carrier.

terryd said:
take the roll pin out of the cross pin and then use a 2 jaw gear puller against the cross pin (which is resting on the pinion gear) to pull it out. also a slide hammer works too! i just did a D60 using the gear puller method, works fantabulous!!!!! just getting the roll pin out is a bitch, have to have small/long punch.....

Problem now is the punch is broken off in the hole for the roll pin. I'll mess with it more in a few weeks/months/when I'm not so PO'd at it. I have to get the thing back on the road for work.

Although you can get the roll pin out when the carrier is in the diff, why bother? It's much easier once the whole thing is out. IIRC, you're going to have to remove the ring gear to install a locker anyways.

I put the bearing caps back on with a turn or two, had the carrier all jammed up with a rag in the gears and used a 5' bar to pry it out. Came out real easy! Although, it was not in the vehicle at the time....may be kinda hard to get a 5' bar on the carrier with the axle under the jeep.

Back