• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any cure for noisy doors?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have tried everything on the doors, from wd40 to 3in1 oil to white lithium grease, even some teflon oil for bikes. nothing works and its driving me crazy. is this just a fact of life with the XJ or what? it didn't seem that bad the first year or so that i had it, and has been slowly getting worse since.

Not sure about the 01, but most times on the earlier models the noise you are hearing is coming from the door stops. Getting some grease on the mechanism that holds the door open isn't easy. From the outside or the inside.
It could be lack of lubrication or the mechanism failing. Most times lubrication doesn't kelp for long, if at all. But a can of spray grease and a long nozzle is worth a try.
Ignored too long and it gets stiff enough, the sheet metal near the "Arm" mount can crack or tear.
It's called an "Arm, check" in the Jeep parts catalog. The Chryslerpartsdirect.com site is timing out on me or I'd try to give you a link. It's pretty much a Jeep only piece, I don't think I've seen one anyplace else.
The pop is often the shaft through the little wheel and/or the spring. The groan may be helped with grease.

8Mud said:
Not sure about the 01, but most times on the earlier models the noise you are hearing is coming from the door stops. Getting some grease on the mechanism that holds the door open isn't easy. From the outside or the inside.
It could be lack of lubrication or the mechanism failing. Most times lubrication doesn't kelp for long, if at all. But a can of spray grease and a long nozzle is worth a try.
Ignored too long and it gets stiff enough, the sheet metal near the "Arm" mount can crack or tear.
It's called an "Arm, check" in the Jeep parts catalog. The Chryslerpartsdirect.com site is timing out on me or I'd try to give you a link. It's pretty much a Jeep only piece, I don't think I've seen one anyplace else.
The pop is often the shaft through the little wheel and/or the spring. The groan may be helped with grease.
yea its that pop and groaning noise. I know the arm you are talking about and thats what i usually try to grease, but it doesn't last long.

01_XJ said:
yea its that pop and groaning noise. I know the arm you are talking about and thats what i usually try to grease, but it doesn't last long.
There are two different types that I know of. To lube either you have to get the nozzle into the door a little and hope for the best when you spray, and spray at an angle to hit the lock mechanism. Just greasing the arm usually doesn't help much.

The stop uses a pair of rollers on ramps, and the action is quite abrupt. You may also have to replace the little pin at the vehicle end of the stop, or do something to tighten it in the end of the stop, because if it's loose it will make an annoying pop no matter how well lubed the innards are.

Damn, they don't have it in green :D

My pin popped out about 3 or so years ago and I replaced it with a roller pin from the parts store. Gotta get around to replacing it, the roller pin does not have any shoulders and it works it's way up and down so I have to stay after it or it will fall out.

Back