• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Brake Pads?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my brake pads a few months ago with Raysbestos pads from Kragen. I didn't turn the rotors at the time because i had no vibrations whatsoever. Now i am afraid to brake too hard because it vibrates so bad. soo i am going to turn the rotors this weekend. What i want to know is, what do you guys run for pads? I am sick of these that i have because i can wash the wheels, and a day later they are black with brake dust. its getting so bad that the clear coat on my eccos is actually stained from it.

CanMan said:

Eli has anyone ever called you an ass? just a ? I'm not calling you that or anything.

ok just checking

I've had no problem with Duralast Gold from autozone on my 99, and I've crossed the 40 three times with this setup and had no problem.

I, on the other hand, have had bad luck with Raybestos. The metal backing always seems to separate from the pad material.

Now I will only use Centric. Can be a little harder to find. But luckily, there's a big parts store near me that carries them.

I have used Raysbestos every time i did my own brakes, but i never really cared about the brake dust till i got my xj. when i bought it, they put new pads on for me, so this was the first time on the xj that i changed them, so i've only been running them on here for 3 or 4 months, maybe a little longer

If the problem is with dust you need a ceramic pad formulation, they are designed specifically to reduce dust. The drawback is they don't stop as well as a semi metallic. A premium friction material from any brand will likely reduce dusting and maintain stopping power. With the cost of rotors being what they are, why not buy new ones? We normally sell them around $20-$30, machining the old ones will run around $25. The rotor is the most important part of a disc brake setup. It is designed to absorb the heat created by stopping, any machine work removes metal and reduces that ability. Big tires and wheels make it hard on a brake system, treat them with quality new parts, the may save your life.

Back