• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing new Upper and lower ball joints

well where to start. its been a while and im sure someone will let me know what i forget to mention. you will need a ball joint press, various hand wrenches and sockets that i cant remember the size for but for the bolts on the back of the wheel bearing are 12 point. 36 mm socket for the axle nut. the bolts that hold on the caliper take a allen wrench. take off the wheel. take off the caliper and rotor. then take off the axle nut. then the wheel bearing. then the tierod ends and then the bolts that hold on the knuckle. you have to take out the upper ball joint first because its the only way to get the ball joint press on the bottom ball joint is with the big bolt for it to go through the upper ball joint hole.. then put if all back together. the wheel bearing is a tough mother to get off as well as the ball joints. a impact on the press might get them out but most of the time you will need a breakover bar and a socket to get them out. somebody help out and tell him if i forgot anything

Why take the 36mm nut off the axle? I always pull the unit bearings off and leave the axle shafts in them. Take them off together and save some time.

Back