• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE?

xjguy07

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj with a 6 1/2" lift. I dont have a SYE kit or CV shaft, mainly b/c i havent had a problem with noises or vibrations in the past 2 1/2 years with this set up. I am about to swap in an 8.8, and ive read that it is suggested to have an SYE kit and CV shaft. Is there any cheaper way to do this other than the normal $450 kit? Would I be able to get by with just a CV shaft? Ive also seen this http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=328&Pn=1809&XnPath=320,321,328&Vid=50DB332755037 I havent really seen or heard of anyone using this? any help is appreciated. Thanks

Cory

Search!! This topic gets beat to death!

Anyways, you don't need to spend 450. Use a front shaft from an XJ with an AW4, it will bolt right up, if you get an SYE. SYEs can be had for 200 bux.

Your 8.8 probably has a flange on the back, which will make it difficult to use your current driveshaft. You could call Tom Woods Driveshafts and see if they have an adapter for you. Really though, if you're lifting your Jeep that far and putting in an 8.8, I assume you are putting on big tires and building for strength. Now would be a great time to make the switch because your current driveshaft probably won't be up to the task or the flex of your new setup. I have 5.5-inches of lift and an 8.8 and just put in the SYE and a TW driveshaft.

Good luck.

I was planning on spending 450 for the SYE kit and TW shaft. and i found an adapter for my shaft from MORE offroad for 40. and has anyone heard anything about that link i posted? thanks

xjguy07 said:
Dang, so there really isnt a way of gettin around it? anyone know of any cheaper SYE or CV shafts?
You could do a hack & tap but you still need a good driveshaft. I don't know if I would rely on a stock front driveshaft at that lift height with big tires.

mjma said:
Search!! This topic gets beat to death!

Anyways, you don't need to spend 450. Use a front shaft from an XJ with an AW4, it will bolt right up, if you get an SYE. SYEs can be had for 200 bux.

A front driveshaft isn't going to be long enough with 6.5" of lift.

Back