• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 leak, only while sitting

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
O.K. so I've got a 96 4.0 AW-4 135K and I've had this odd problem where if it sits for 3 or 4 days a transmission leak starts to develop..... I can drive it for a week and no leaks... nothing.... park it for a few days.....don't touch it and I've got a weeping XJ. It appears to be up top on the drivers side.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Curt

Possibly a bad front seal. Also checkout the cooler lines fro mthe tranny going forward to the radiator. Sometimes the clamps that hold the lines wear through them and start weeping. There really isn't anything up top to leak.

Sounds more like steering fluid than tranny fluid. I have heard of lines leaking when they sit and not when they are in use. Clean everything really good under neth and then park it, maybe then you'll see the problem area

As for the front seal it's not that far forward.... and I've replaced the line and other then where they cross under the front of the engine and enter the radiator they run along the pass. side of the vehicle... they're all O.E. (replaced) crimped and clean.
As to the steering that's all be rehabbed a few months ago and again it's too far back to be steering.... it's clean in between.

There are a few ports/linkage/seals/???? up on the drivers side that could be leaking.....
I just think it's odd to sit a day or two and nothing... 3 or more and it weeps.
My buddy had the same issue in an 89 and never figured it out, his kid wreaked it so he never was able to find it.

Any other ideas would be appreciated...... actually these are appreciated too
I just have already ruled them out.

Thanks
Curt

Back