• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low brake pedal

billj

NAXJA Forum User
hey just wondering if anybody has had this problem with their xj.i have a 90 xj non abs power brakes.it has had a low pedal since i bought it.now that i have 35s on it its more pronounced.over the course of 2 years ive replaced front pads/ rotors/calipers.rear shoes,adjusted properly,e brake adjusted properly,no leaks at wheel cyl,bled brakes both at home and power blead at a shop,flushed old brake fluid out,replaced master cyl with brand new not rebuilt.also when i push the pedal down with the engine not running the pedal is perfect,not to low not spongy but as soon as i start the engine it goes to 2 inches above the floor on really hard stops i can make the pedal hit the floor but it still stops the jeep.any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanks,bill. the engine rpm drops slightly when the pedal is held to the floor.is this normal?:roll:

billj said:
hey just wondering if anybody has had this problem with their xj.i have a 90 xj non abs power brakes.it has had a low pedal since i bought it.now that i have 35s on it its more pronounced.over the course of 2 years ive replaced front pads/ rotors/calipers.rear shoes,adjusted properly,e brake adjusted properly,no leaks at wheel cyl,bled brakes both at home and power blead at a shop,flushed old brake fluid out,replaced master cyl with brand new not rebuilt.also when i push the pedal down with the engine not running the pedal is perfect,not to low not spongy but as soon as i start the engine it goes to 2 inches above the floor on really hard stops i can make the pedal hit the floor but it still stops the jeep.any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanks,bill. the engine rpm drops slightly when the pedal is held to the floor.is this normal?:roll:

Are your rear breaks adjusted properly?

Try adjusting the rear brakes tighter. With rear-drum equipped RWD vehicles, especially trucks, you'll have to make them tighter than "just a little drag". I can't really tell you how tight is correct, it's just a measurement I've learned through experience.

Back