• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WITHOUT nuking the question..

IronSmiles

NAXJA Forum User
Theoritically.. (without going crazy into detail) with a 6.5 inch lift, a good set of 33"s, ARB locked front and rear, and a snorkel.. I should be able to do a good amount of exploring and have fun just about anywhere.. right? :thumbup: (n)

You would think so. But with a XJ, it's amazing what you can do with stock tires and no lift. Most of it is the driver.

Probably 95% of the stuff out there.

Why the snorkel? Going to Alaska or something?

In most of the rivers in Colorado, if you’re deep enough to need a snorkel, you’re going to be heading down stream real quick.

if you're gonna drive it on the street, i'd only lock up the rear though. to me, the traction gained doesn't justify the loss in driveability (from what i've read anyway, i've never driven on a locked front).

You live in San Diego, there is very little stuff around here that would ever require a snorkel. It will just be more work and more drag. If you think you will be going places with a snorkel though you should strip out all your carpet and herculine the floor and make sure you have nothing in the truck that will be ruined by a good soaking.

I think you can do a lot with a minimal rig build up, then let your desires and experience lead you in your build up.

I used to have a YJ with a 3" lift and 31"s. My neighbor had the same thing. We used to do weekenders and had a ton of fun all over So Cal. We would later read articles and discover that we had unknowingly completed some pretty difficult trails. We would look at the pics in the articles and recognize the difficult obstacles and recall going around them. We never had any breakdowns and just enjoyed exploring the trails.

Obviously there are going to be trails and obstacles that will require a certain type of rig, still I think a lot of people over build. Keep in mind the more you build the more you pushing the stock stuff.

Last edited:
tatjunkie said:
if you're gonna drive it on the street, i'd only lock up the rear though. to me, the traction gained doesn't justify the loss in driveability (from what i've read anyway, i've never driven on a locked front).

only a person who has never driven with a locked front would say that...

You would be surprised what a stock XJ will do with a decent set of tires, so the setup you're talking about will get you around just fine, throw a winch on there and go anywhere you want.

XJ_ranger said:

Never a more true statement than that...I wouldn't DREAM of running without a front locker....been there had some awsome stucks without one...and forget climbing anything without a front locker..

XJ_ranger said:

X eleventy billion.

I had 3 modified XJ's without it. The locker in the front rules.

LOL, yeah I know I live in San Diego (will be moving to dallas in a year), and there is no IMMEDIATE need for a snorkel, but then again you could say in a good amount of situations there is really no need for lockers or anything else, I like being really prepared without driving a monster truck down the road.

I already had a hardcore rock crawling rig and as fun as it was, I found that I had MORE fun just going on trails and exploring the unbeaten path.. and with a snorkel, I view it the same way I do my gun, id rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, haha.

Plus the wife does really love camping and I've spent about six months total just doing research on making my XJ the ultimate exploring/camping vehicle and feel like I've got it about 90% planned.. it just sucks because I honestly cant do any of the work myself (lack of experiance/knowledge) so labor is half my cost. =(

IH8RDS said:
I have ARB front and rear. They both disappear with a flip of a switch

and if they're like most ARB's - they dont turn back on :D

XJ_ranger said:
and if they're like most ARB's - they dont turn back on :D

Mine always turned on and off.. but the air compressor one day just.. stayed on the entire time the locker was locked (going off every 5- 10 seconds) and it had never done that before.. I no longer have that jeep but it still puzzles me to this day. :wierd:

Back