• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing interior rubber sealant

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
As I prepare to put in the new floorpan, prepping the old br removing some of the old rubbery, thick seam sealant is a ROYAL PITA.

Anyone know a better method to strip or disolve that crap??

By the way... air nibbler is a great little tool. Used it to cut the section of the pan I needed.

Have to get my digital cam from my sis so I can document this.

The easiest way to remove it is to use i high powered pressure washer with the death tip on. I think its the single hole tip. It comes off like butter. You can also use an engine degreaser as a way of promoting it along before pressure washing.

noah

wire wheel works well

so does a nice sharp pry bar...like a heavy duty putty knife

you could also try burning it off with a torch.

I use a heat gun from the other side to get the steel warmed up. This loosens the sealant from the steel without melting the top of it. Use a putty knife to get it started, and sometimes it will peel up in one shot if you keep moving with the heatgun.
If not, you will have to scrape it, but it does come loose. Use a knotted wire wheel for the final cleanup.

MogifiedXJ said:
You could try a grinder with a wire wheel. Thats eats through most things.
that does work, but makes one hell of a mess

what i did to remove it was take a torch in one hand and medium sized spackle drywall tool and heated up a section and it would peel right off...works well smells horrible

Back