• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ V8 Coils Installed...Final Thoughts

CLOISER

NAXJA Forum User
Installed some ZJ V8 coils with ~7K miles on them into my 98 XJ last week
Only the 3rd or 4th thing I've done to my Jeep besides maintenance and it was fun to say the least, much less cursing than installing front skid and winch carrier...I see how you old-timers get bit and stay hooked!

Springs in there were shot (super soft, 70lb winch carrier/grill guard on front was causing nosedives) and rested at about 16 inches (center of hub to flare)

After install sits at 18 inches (center of hub to flare) and provides a stiffer (read better) ride compared to stock XJ coils, also leveled out with rear after I got some replacement springs earlier this year (So in total I'm sitting about 1 inch over alleged stock height of 17 inches)

Picked up the coils for $30 pulled at a local yard

Also:

Broke driver side swaybar connect during install, don't know what to do there as I don't wanna get stock replacements but not sure how long I'll be below 2 inches lift

So:

what the :scared: do I do with sagged out XJ coils??? for now they're chilling with the tow hooks and stock skids in the front yard
should've let everything sit in WD-40 overnight
should've used coil compressors instead of ratchet straps :nono:
would've been happier installing real 2 inch lift coils

1. wd40 sux use PB blaster. (napa part# pb16..or is it 16pb...one of those bah.)
2. sell the tow hooks and factory skids! there are plenty of people on here looking for em.
3. welcome to the world of "hmmm... what next"

:D

Coils make great tie-outs for dogs. They store whatever energy the dog can develop trying to break the lead, then release that doggy energy when the critter is least able to counter the reaction. They stop tugging/breaking leads in short order.

Autozone and Murray's have Energy Suspension swaybar links. Poly bushings, zinc plated hardware, for like 16 bucks for two. You gotta measure the length of your links though because they have like 3 different sizes. I just broke mine yesterday, so I know how you feel.

I did the same thing. ZJ coils make driving an XJ very very nice! stops the nose dive during braking, steadys it up during cornering. and yeah, it was only the 2nd or 3rd mod to mine as well. i now have the stuff to do a 3" lift on it. and considering adding another rear leaf and a spacer and going to 4" while i'm in there...... its addictive to say the least. I'd keep the swaybar if you do much on roading. I unhook my swaybar to go wheeling, but its kinda un-nerving in the corners, bobs and weaves with you.

4" using sye?
maybe depend on the year
on my '89 XJ I'm at 4,5" with no sye and no drop in tc, just proper alignment of the shaft. Yes the brake lines must be extended or relocated (cheaper option)

Back