• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor will not work after charging.

glennv

NAXJA Forum User
My A/C was working but would start to blow warmer/less cooler air after about 20 minutes. The compressor was kicking on and off.

I brought it to have it charged at a shop and they said they couldn't get the compressor to kick on. They claim they finally got it working and I will say it was blowing some cool air. Once I got 20 feet down the road it started blowing warm air again. Now the compressor won't cycle on or off at all. Think they damaged it? Thoughts?

They could have overcharged it. I charged mine the other day the lazy way without my gauges and it wouldn't cycle on because it had too much pressure. Oops... Pulled it down and recharged it the right way and everything works fine.

Check the high and low pressure switch connections to see if one of them is loose!

Your problem could be caused by several things...., but the A/C systems in the earlier XJs is different than the newer XJs...
What year is your Jeep ?
As others have posted...; a loose electrical connection on LP cutout switch could be the problem or an open temperature switch along with low voltage to the compressor clutch are to name just a few....
You will need a VOM (multimeter) to assist you in troubleshooting IF it is an electric problem....
A refrigerant gauge manifold along with a digital thermometer would help to check system temperature/pressure when the compressor does operate.

Good tools, good gauges, and some instructions on how to use them are your friends! And they pay for themselves, mucho pronto!:D

It never ceases to amase me how many people try to diagnose a problem in a complex system with just just their five senses and no other tools. Just makes no Sense, LOL. (pun intended) :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Back