• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche backglass gasket

JJacobs

NAXJA Forum User
I've currently got the back slider window out of my MJ to fix a couple cracks at the top cab corners :eek: Trouble is, I can't find a gasket anywhere, apparently they only come with the window which is about $300 installed. I'm not hung up on the slider aspect, thinking maybe a piece of plexi or something- anybody found a cheap way to go?

If it's the rubber gasket around the slider, why not just re-use it?? I never use new gaskets, even if customers want one. Is the gasket cracked, torn, etc.?

Looks like the window comes with a molded gasket which is then glued into the vehicle. I had a glass guy cut it out but the old gasket's pretty nasty- cut in a few places. It's tempting to just have them glue it back in anyway, but it'd be nice to find a source for the new gasket.

To be honest, I've done auto glass for the last 12 years. Not once have I ever done an MJ backglass. If u want to send me some pics, I'll give whatever advice I can. Jer [email protected]

You might be able to use the late-model front glass gasket, as it glues down, I believe. Use some 3M black weatherstrip adhesive to attach it and to glue the ends together.

ren said:
You might be able to use the late-model front glass gasket, as it glues down, I believe. Use some 3M black weatherstrip adhesive to attach it and to glue the ends together.
Hmm....... Not so much. Not interchangeable whatsoever. It doesn't glue down, per se. There's actually butyl inside it and it sticks to the outside edge of the windshield, and gets set into the urethane as one unit. I'll look in my NAGS book to see what I can find. Blaine, not trying to be a dick, but new gaskets suck. If my customers want a new one, I try to talk them out of it. I'll use new ones if the old one is cracked, torn, or dry rotted, but other than that, no way.

Last edited:
jbmoose, I appreciate your help. If you do manage to find a part number maybe I'll see if it can be acquired locally.

What about the plexi idea? Is there a source for a cut to length channel molding like used on CJ windshields? Maybe I could just get a CJ part and cut it down like ren says.

I worked in a glass shop. I did alot of custom work on hot rods. You can get gasket material bulk. But then you have to either form it to fit the opening or cut and bond it together. In most cases you will not be able to form it. Then you would have to get some lexan that will fit in the channel on the gasket. Another option would be to get some laminated glass and get it cut it to fit the opening (not that easy if you dont have experience cutting glass). Or you could do it the right way and get a backlite and gasket for a MJ from a bone yard. Installation is easy with the aid of a nice thin curtain rod cord and a fiber stick,then seal it and your on your way. Good Luck!

Back