• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

funny brake noise HELP

Leaking booster comes to mind -- although I don't know how you would check exactly what's happening. Someone else needs to chime in.

I had that problem on my 90. Hissed in real cold weather, once the engine warmed up, hissing went away. Never seemed to affect braking performance.
Still sounds like the booster to me.

Diaphragm is internal to booster --- don't know if there is really any way to positively check without taking the thing apart. However I see there seems to be a core charge on them, so you might not want to mess with it.

Hey Sniper - I've got the exact same problem going on right now myself - been reading the posts all day, and became convinced that I had to replace the Booster (about $130 plus the time to bleed all the lines, etc)... Then I found out about the Brake Booster Vacuum CHECK VALVE. This is a $10 piece of plastic elbow/adapter on the front of the booster that the vacuum hose connects to - and I'm being told by other posters that if it's bad it COULD be causing all the same problems/symptoms that would be happening if the entire booster went bad. check my profile for a link to the thread i'm discussing that in, and/or search the tech formus for keyword "brake booster". TONS of kickass info on this site!
Daryl

Back