• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowin Fuse Links afet Accident

gastonlv

NAXJA Forum User
1987 XJ Limited Sport 4.0 6CYL 4WD 165,000 miles.

Got in an accident at an intersection. Hit on battery side, stalled and would not restart. You fine folks helped me locate the blown fuse link coming off the starter selenoid after I had it towed home. (search: "lights on nobody's")

So, Dummy me, after finding the burnt fuse link I connected few of the toasted wire strands back together and turned the ignition. I figure I'd be safe to at least crank the car. Big mistake. :explosion There was enough overload to burn the other link connected to the same eye. I guess these are wired in pairs. So, now they are now both burnt and I dont dare to try that again.

Note: Before getting to this point I had removed the steering tilt housing to tighten the hex bolts (lock-tite blue) to fix that common loose steering wheel problem. That came back together pretty easy (unless I am a complete idiot and screwed something in there. In which case I will retire from being a home auto mechanic.)

Anyway, I thought the link may have burned during the accident but should be normal now. Apparently there'sa something more serious happenning if it's overloading. Ignition switch was replaced a year ago because of a broken key. The battery shows a full charge.
Could the accident have messed up the starter selenoid? Are there any relays I should check/replace?

Thanks, you people are pretty good at coming up with answers.

Somewhere, a power wire downstream of the blown fusible link is pinched or chafing on bare metal causing a short to ground. Look in the area damaged in the wreck.

The fusible links are used instead of a fuse. The only reason for either to fail is a short to ground. Never replace either assuming it just got tired, find the root cause.

Back