• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR offroad front bumper install problems

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
What is the black tank thing that is behind the stock bumper on the passenger side and what do I do with it.

JCR extended brackets are not the same as the instructions. There is no radius cut on the bottom, I would have to remove all three steering box bolts, and will have no way to re attach the triangle fender braces.

Passenger side frame does not have the holes for the extended brackets.

I am thinking of skipping the extended brackets.

vacuum reservoir? You can buy about a foot more vacuum tube and relocate it behind the front crossmember or wherever you have room. I took my bumper off all together and am putting it behind the crossmember.

yeah, the tank is a vacuum canister. when I put on a new bumper I relocated it in the engine compartment between my coolant reservior and the engine. i didn't need to do anything to the lines, and attached it to some random piece of metal on the front of the resv. using an L-bracket. be careful though, my buddy's lines snapped very easily on his XJ.

the triangle brackets don't seem to do too much, only offer a lil support to the quarter panel. I just took the angle grinder and cut them where they attach to the frame rail to allow the bumper brackets to pass by. you can remove completely, but the upper bolt is a PAIN to get to, so I just left it. then, leaving the horn attahced, I bent the triangle brackets forward so that the horn wouldn't extend below the bottom of the bumper.

sorry i'm not familiar with the JCR bumper, but my Rock Lizard Fab bumper required removing the 3 steering bolts for installation as the bumper acts as a steering brace as well when those bolts are reinstalled. apparently these bolts break often when trying to remove, but i didn't have any problems spraying PB blaster on and letting it sit overnight. if you do take these bolts out you will want to replace the steering box spacer plate due to corrosion.
for more info go here http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/broken_steering_box_bolt.htm

Yeah, I visited the JCR site, figured I had to pull the three steering box bolts. What a pain in the #$% that was getting the bolts to line back up. No way was I going to replace the spacer. I did have to remove the little front bumper spacer in order to get things back in, but I was able to get it back in.

I think my problem was magnified as the XJ had a previous fender bender on that side.

Anyway, got the brackets on and ready for the fender trim and bumper bolt on when the paint dries.

I moved the vacuum tank into the engine compartment, need to secure it in place. A little pressure released when I disconnected the lines, hope I didn't screw anything up there.

One more thing, when moving the steering box around it dripped a bit of fluid. Is that normal or something to be concerned about?

dont worry about the fluid, move your vac can - as soon as you start the engine it fixes the vacuum you lost, and just bend those triangle brackets out of the way. enjoy your new JCR bumper :D i love mine!

misc6-07061.jpg

Back