• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how far apart are '91 and '88

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
looking at swapping front ends.... the '91 went bad, the '88 is a 200$ parts truck, is there a different fix anyone would reccomend? different differential or axle? i dunno I'm not too smart when it comes to jeeps, or how they work, I'm more of a body person :banghead:

They'll both be the same axle but there can be some differences. Gear ratio-if both jeeps have the same engine/trans you should be okay, but double ck. Disconnect/nondiscon. Do they have the same transfer case? Abs/ non abs. Rings for abs inside by axle u-joints. Hopefully thats it maybe someone else knows any others...

I would recommend a 95-99 D30....its HP, and you have the bigger U Joints...plus no vac disco to mess with....

Axles

Front Axles

Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

bfred said:
Abs/ non abs. Rings for abs inside by axle u-joints.

I think ABS didn't start until late 92 model year (my 92 doesn't have them) so you should be okay here.

if it has abs, you will have an electric wire going to a sensor just behind the hub (near the u-joint), and there will be a ring with teeth in that same area.

if it has vaccum disconnect, there will be a vaccum motor housing behind the passenger side of the axle tube near the control arm. you can't miss it. either can be swapped, but non-vaccum disconnect is prefered.

I looked into this as my parts jeep is 1990 & the recipiant is 1987. 1990 axels were changed from the outer ends of the tubes out, as in axel C, spindle, unit bearing, brakes, calipers, rotors & caliper mounts. The entire axel assembly is interchangable but you have to buy parts for the axel year in the future. The inner axel shaft on CAD units are interchangable as long as you use all 3 parts(both pieces of shaft & slide coupling). Outer stub shaft is interchangable as are inner one piece shafts. Older spindle has removable brake caliper mount, newer are one piece spindle & caliper mount. There are both CAD & non-CAD axels, if you are swaping CAD for CAD everything should hook up. If swapping non-CAD for CAD is actually better as you get rid of the central axel disconect.

Jess said:
abs is on ALL d35 rear axles.
Nope.

During years that the C8.25 was an option (1991-2001) your statement is correct. However, the D35 was used 1984-2001 and during 1984-1990 (early 1991?) the D35 could be found with or without ABS. That makes sense as the D35 was the ONLY rear axle found under XJs during the 1984-1990 period, with the exception of the rare D44 under some 1987 Wagoneers.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back