• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do i have a locker ?

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 AW4 with a rear 8.25 a mechanic told me that all the jeeps that were assembeled in Egypt have lockers but I m not sure which OEM locker I have.

All I know is that the rear has been acting weirdly these days it clicks hardly upon turning and hard braking and acceleration.

They tell me that I need to replace the CLUTCHES (mind the translation Terminology) are these the friction clutches ??? is it worth it ?

That sounds like you may have a Trac-Loc style limited slip in the rear. Unfortunately, while NAXJA is a wealth of information about the US-model variants, we are not as knowledgeable about the options and equipment on the foreign versions.

However - based on what you say, "clutches" should equal "friction clutches" and they do wear out. They also require a special fiction modifier in the oil, so that's one thing you (or your mechanic) should make sure is aded.

Pharaoh XJ said:
is this Trac Loc any good off road ? or is it just a peice of junk ?

Works OK, but not as well as a full locker. Having had fully-open, limited-slip, and now fully-locked axles, I'll definitely take a limited-slip over a fully-open any day.

casm said:
Works OK, but not as well as a full locker. Having had fully-open, limited-slip, and now fully-locked axles, I'll definitely take a limited-slip over a fully-open any day.
what casm says is correct but his terminology may have confused you. He is saying that what you have is better than it would be without the limited slip, but it could be better if you had a fully locked rear. That is an opinion that I would question without knowing how you use your XJ.

All I have to say is "Thank God My Jeep Was Built In Toledo"

if you indeed have a traclok, purchasing new clutch plates are fairly affordable and its a nice-to-have on the street and for mild offroading. Its better than having an open diff unless you plan on upgrading to a lunchbox locker, then you have to swap out the carrier for an open carrier.

The clutch plates seem to have a lifespan of about 35-40K miles before they wear out.

djblade311 said:
The clutch plates seem to have a lifespan of about 35-40K miles before they wear out.

Going to disagree on this one: the D35 with LSD that I just got rid of had 123,000 miles on it. I'm responsible for roughly 50,000 of those and it was still working fine. No idea if a previous owner changed the clutches or not (I'm leaning towards 'not', given the level of routine maintenance that'd been carried out on it when I bought it, but that's just speculation), but there are a lot of functional Trac-Locs still in service that're comfortably past the numbers you're quoting.

Last edited:
casm said:
Going to disagree on this one: the D35 with LSD that I just got rid of had 123,000 miles on it. I'm responsible for roughly 50,000 of those and it was still working fine. No idea if a previous owner changed the clutches or not (I'm leaning towards 'not', given the level of routine maintenance that'd been carried out on it when I bought it, but that's just speculation), but there are a lot of functional Trac-Locs still in service that're comfortably past the numbers you're quoting.

Right about the D35 having a good life span. Not sure that goes for the 8.25 trac-loc. My D-35 I had went through 3 XJs and now back in my sons after smoking his Chrysler 8.25. It still works fine. It has never gave any of us problems. 31s 33s 34s and it has never broke anything. It is now on 35s. I have heard the 8.8 trac-locs are junk maybe the 8.25s are too.

Back