• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Clutch & Coil

co_big_cheese

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know where to get a replacement A/C clutch & coil for a 2000 XJ? NAPA says you have to buy the whole unit. Nothing wrong with the rest of the until, just need the clutch & coil. AC kept kicking off. Took out a shim to get it working again, but my friend said that will only last till' the clutch wears more.

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you. My 01 clutch is about to go. It will squeal from time to time. Advance Auto Parts told me the same as Napa. I'd hate to put out $250+ for the entire unit.

I've helped several guys on NAXJA find parts, since I do it for a living...... and I have to say that although I was able to find this one you may be better off just buying the compressor. Advance or Autozone "can" get it for you, I just pulled out our factory aire catalog and the clutch and coil unit for your sanden compressor is 158.40!!! If you would like I can call you local Advance and give them the number so that they can order it for you but, you may be better off with the compressor as a whole....sucks :(

mgreen84 said:
I've helped several guys on NAXJA find parts, since I do it for a living...... and I have to say that although I was able to find this one you may be better off just buying the compressor. Advance or Autozone "can" get it for you, I just pulled out our factory aire catalog and the clutch and coil unit for your sanden compressor is 158.40!!! If you would like I can call you local Advance and give them the number so that they can order it for you but, you may be better off with the compressor as a whole....sucks :(

If you could post the part #'s that would be great. At least I would have that option.

I think a rebuilt A/C unit was around $260, and a new one was like $410.

What's your opinion on rebuilt vs. new?

You can buy a replacement clutch from the dealer for about $220. With installation, it will set you back about $450...that's what it cost me the first time.

If you have high miles on your rig, I would go for a whole new unit and not mess with clutch. My second clutch just gave up the ghost this week, but the compressor still works. At 115k, I'm going to replace it with a new factory unit...not a rebuild.

I picked up a complete brand new (not rebuilt) compressor and clutch unit for $393 from this place--> https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214142 , which is the cheapest I found it. Even though the drop down menu price is listed at $346, it actually cost $393. That was still cheaper than from the dealer, at over $500 for a new unit.

The local auto A/C shop rebuilds the clutch units for $180.00 so the parts are available to someone. I've had my pick-up and my car done, but my XJ is still going strong. I would guess since they charged the same for each of my other two vehicles that the XJ would be the same price too.

Back