• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front seat for 97 Cherokee

kerwinq

NAXJA Forum User
Need to replace the drivers seat since the welds are broken on the seat frame causing the seat to lean. What years will interchange that I can get a new one

Thanks, Kerwin

I had the same problem on my '88 just 2 weeks ago. The rear backrest bracket broke off at both ends causing me to lean backwards more and sway from side to side when turning.. Taking the seat apart was pretty simple. I took it to a shop and they welded the bracket back on for $20. Since mine are 6-way electric, this seemed the cheapest way to go.

How are the seat covers?

Seat covers are in good condition, I took the seat out to find the problem but took the whole seat, including the mounting bracket. Will the seat slide forward enough to come out easily? This would be easier than unbolting and trying to get the bolts back in again

No dice man. You gotta take the whole slider/mounting assembly off. I know it's a pain in the ass to do, but for the effort, you can strip off all the flamables and have the cracks rewelded and reinforced for a LOT less than a new seat.

Trust me, between 2 Cherokee's, I've bought used seats, re-welded old seats, put the passenger seat on the driver side andjust had a passenger "space", Rewelded the mounting brackets... several times on some of those situations.

The only thing I haven't done is ponied up the dough for Aftermarket seats. The shipping on them for me is just effing insane. The price can easily double.

But if you have to, swap the passenger seat into the drivers side (yeah, you gotta switch brackets) and let someone else deal with the busted seat while you keep your passengers alive. Of course, you could take all the padding off and take it somewhere to fix it.

I've read in similar posts to this that sometimes upholstery places can weld the cracks? Must be nice to live in a city so big that couch stuffers have welders... I'd try an autobody shop or a boating supply/service place. but what the hell do I know? I just buy a co-worker a beer and he can re-weld his cracked welds every three months.

*Sigh* Stupid shipping.... I hate taking out those seats.

Well, you do need to remove the entire seat plus slide ass'y out. Once out, flip it over and you should find some bolts that attach the seat to the slider. Maybe you can post a picture of the break.

Jesterbomb said: put the passenger seat on the driver side and just had a passenger "space"

This is what I just went through but my seat base wouldn't fit (6-way power), so I had swap the just the backrests. I drove for 3 days with no passenger seat until the weekend when I got it welded.

1997 to 2001 will fit perfectly. Some 1996 might fit. You can remove the seat and leave the slider in the Jeep. You must be patient and expect to spend extra time doing it this way. Some of those GearWrench ratcheting wrenches will come in handy, metric I think.

Tim_MN said:
1997 to 2001 will fit perfectly. Some 1996 might fit. You can remove the seat and leave the slider in the Jeep. You must be patient and expect to spend extra time doing it this way. Some of those GearWrench ratcheting wrenches will come in handy, metric I think.
X2 except 94+ will physically fit. Actually all years might bolt onto the sliders. I just know they changed how the brackets attached to the floor in 94. If you got the gray interior I know that the shade of the gray changed from a lighter shade to a darker shade in (I think) 99, or 00, but I'm not sure if the cloth seats actually changed though. I know the leather ones did. Unfortunately shipping seats from anywhere is ridiculously expensive. It was going to cost almost $200 to ship a set of seats to some one on the west cost from here in OH.

Last edited:
The sliders on my '88 were a breeze to remove. 2 Bolts in back, 2 nuts up front, 1 elec connector, and the whole thing came out. With them out, I got a chance to clean it all up and regrease the tracks and gears and vacuum up the carpet.

Check muffler shops. Generally they all have welders.

Back