• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are these springs in with my new front brake calipers?

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I just picked up a set of front brake calipers and pads for my 2000 XJ from NAPA. Each caliper has a set of 2 springs in the box with it. The springs are bent kind of like a bowtie and I would expect they would bias the pads to eliminate squeak. I can't see any way they would fit on the caliper or pad. I asked the guy at NAPA where they go and he could not tell me. There are no directions in the caliper or pad box.

The FSM makes no reference to these springs.

Where do these springs go? I sure hope someone else has solved this mystery before.

TIA.

Sound kinda like anti rattle clips? Maybe they go from the outer edges fo the caliper on each side of the caliper?

They might attach to the back of the pad where it contacts the piston of the caliper. Maybe bend the"y" part of the springs to fit inside the piston and it prevents pad rattle.

I think I solved the mystery. I looked at the brakes on a 1987 parts XJ that I have. The slides / guides that the end of the pads move against are on a separate casting that bolts to the steering knuckle on the 1987 Dana 30.

The springs were installed on that piece, with the straight edge against the ends of the pads. They clip behind the casting and force the straight piece to bow out slightly in the middle. There is one installed at the top and at the bottom. I could not see any way to hook them like this around the steering knuckle on the 2000 axle. They wern't there when I took it apart, and the brakes were quiet, so I guess I don't need the springs.

Back