• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L I-4 engine problems

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle - 1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer.
Powerplant - AMC 2.5L Inline 4 cylinder.
No modifications.

Problem 1-
sometimes, my xj will run like a top. sometimes, if you let off the gas at a stop, it dies. it sputters out and runs like crap. ive re-built the carb, re set the electric choke, and checked everything. is there a senser thats bad? Has anyone else had this problem?

Problem 2-
high oil pressure. im reading almost at the last line of the gauge. i had the wrong gauge in mind. i had my water temp insead of oil pressure. the oil pressure is reading about 75 or so. maybe a tad less. is that a bad thing?

any help, imput, etc. would be wonderfull.

ive also been thinking about pulling the engine and swapping a 4.0L in there. anyone do this? ive pulled and replaces engines before, but they were the same size. is there any complecation with going to a bigger size in an xj?

Last edited:
um, thats your temp gauge if its going to 240.....

and yes, if its going to 240, thats bad....

LOL...ok, so your temp is around 210 then?

Oil pressure is kinda high....what oil brand and type are you running?

did it just all the sudden jump up to 70? or always run that high? if you went to 10-30, you might go down a bit in pressure...

The electric choke on those is notorious. The ring that holds on the plastic cover is supposed to rub against the tab for the electrically heated bymetal spring. It corrodes causing intermittent operation at full choke. Get a bread twist tie and wire the choke in the open position and see if the problem goes away.

Back