• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could I drive it?

XJSlater

NAXJA Forum User
I found a D44 with 4.11 gearing. I want to swap out for my 8.25. Was wondering if I would be ok to drive down the road with my D30 in front still running 3.55's as long as I kept in 2WD? I just need to get from my house after the swap about 4 miles down the road to the 4x4 shop to get the gears done for the front.

Thanks for the help.
I never thought of that, but its an easy enough precaution that I'd be an idiot if i just risked it.

Anyone ever encountered a problem or known someone that has hurt their jeep pretty bad from driving like this?

Oh BTW, how much have some of you payed for the D44?

I found a whole rig that I can get for $250, i'll swap it and then re-sell the jeep with my 8.25 or just sell it to the bone yard.

Just curious to make sure im not gonna pay too much.

I have, just hook up the D-44 and then take the DS off of the D-30. Then you are still running on the rear. You can drive it like this forever just no 4wd.

If you have to drive it on the front only, keep the speed down and be carefull through the curves/turns, try not to bind it up too much. I've driven them home from the trail like this after rear DS damage.

Just be carefull and use your head.

XJSlater said:
Oh BTW, how much have some of you payed for the D44?

I found a whole rig that I can get for $250, i'll swap it and then re-sell the jeep with my 8.25 or just sell it to the bone yard.

Just curious to make sure im not gonna pay too much.

Thats about right for this area.

What year is the 8.25 out of?

And if you drive with different gear ratio's in either axle, the TC will go boom.

Won't your donor rig have the same gears as the 44? Swap both front and rear in a weekend or pull the front gears and instal in your front. Both will be 30's...

Don't be crazy. Leave the shaft in, just leave it in 2wd. In 2wd there is no mechanical connection between the front and rear axles. None.

Nothing to worry about.

So don't waste the effort...

Robert

Robert 771 said:
Don't be crazy. Leave the shaft in, just leave it in 2wd. In 2wd there is no mechanical connection between the front and rear axles. None.

Nothing to worry about.

So don't waste the effort...

Robert

I agree

I put my 4.10 geared 8.8 in, ran for a few weeks until I got my front regeared to match, and I had 3.07's. Just keep it out of 4wd, tape a reminder on your tcase lever if you're forgetful

Thanks for all the input guys, just went down to look at it earlier.
The guy told me it was a D44, turns out it was an 8.25 :doh:
So i guess there will be no swap after all.

did it have 4.11 gearing?

might still be worth it, as the axle would be cheaper and easier than regearing. Do you know what year 8.25 it is?

XJSlater said:
it was an '87
The rig was a 4 cyl with a 5spd. Thats why I sought it out.

If its an 87 I don't think it would have an 8.25... more likely a D35. Avoid it.

Back