• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is creaking

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

over the past couple weaks ive had a creaking noise. happens mainly when im hitting big bumps while turning. like if im coming off the road onto my driveway which is a 90 degree turn onto a hill is creaks really bad from somewhere right in front of me in the engine bay. it wont do it hitting bumps going straight, and doesn't do it if its just a regular turn. just while turning, and hitting bumps

ive tried to PB everything i could find and it isn't helping anything

Specs would help...

As suggested make sure your steering box is tight. Make sure the "frame" isn't damaged as well.

Make sure your trackbar frame mount is TIGHT, it's pretty common for this to come loose and cause those exact symptoms.

Also make sure there is no play in ALL the bushings and TREs.

ok thanks. its a RE1610 track bar(or whichever the bad one is) so ill check that out today. i just washed everything down really good so i could get a good look at it. but the frame around the steering box is good, but im going to get a TNT brace soon anyways

specs...6 inch homebrew lift, RE trac bar. checked the shocks that wasn't it, d30/8.8 locked f/r 35s. but most of this doesn't matter

Its a jeep its just another sound you learn to turn your radio up over. haha

bringing up an old post....but i'm having the exact same symptoms as you were...so i'm just wondering if you ever figured it out and fixed it because that would help me a lot. thanks.

Your jeep is creaking. There is nothing you can do about it. But I bet it is the unibody tweaking.

well it shouldnt be the unibody tweaking. i've only taken this jeep wheeling on 2 trips. i just put the lift on a few months ago so it shouldnt be control arm bushings and i checked the track bar and all seemed tight. but i'm gettin under there today to see what i can find.

Everything under mine creaks, thats how I know everything is still under it! JK!

Its probably either the front lower control arms or the rear shackles need to be re-torqued. That usually fixes mine.

Mine was creaking recently. Turned out two of the track-bar mount bolts had worked loose (the ones inside the engine bay). Turns out one nut had its welds break free and the other was barely hanging on. This somehow must have let the bolts vibrate free.

I replaced both bolts with a couple of Grade 8 1/2" bolts and lock nuts and the creaking has disappeared. I am in the process of fabricating a track-bar brace to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Back