• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Switch install

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know the specifics of installing an Ignition Switch on an 89 Cherokee with a tilt wheel? I've read the how-to's in my Chilton's (I know, laugh), and in the instructions for the switch itself and it seems to be conflicting. Any help?

If you are talking about the electrical slide switch and not the lock mechanism, the book says to drop the steering column for access. I did that my first time and I had enough trouble getting into the right possition the first time that I learned enough to replace it with out dropping the steering column the second time.

First time took me like 5 hours, second time took me 30 minutes.

I think I followed the DIY online instructions, or the instructions that came with the electric ignition switch, I forget which it was.

Biggest problem is getting the little bugger locked down in just the right spot. Tends to move as you tighten the lock nuts down. If it is not in exactly the right spot it will not start or won't go into the ACC mode....etc. Be careful not to bend the actuator rod that goes into it.

Pay close attention to how it all comes apart. Mounted on the ign switch is the hi-lo beam switch as well. Dropping the column was a bit of a pain, but gave me easier access to the switch so it's your choice to drop or not. If you do drop, make sure the ign switch, hi-lo beam and shifter lockout (if you have a AW4) work before you bolt the column back up. Make sure you test all key positions too.

I'm doing this as we speak. I took off lower panel and took off the switch, but I'm having torouble putting it back on the steering column. The actuator rod is at 0 degrees and needs to be 45 degrees to fit in the slider switch, do you manual turn that or is my rod just turned?

thanks

Back