• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 MJ 2.5L Manual to Power Steering swap

MoparRobbie

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty, first post here on the NAXJA forums and definately not the last! I recently purchased a '89 MJ Comanche SportTruck. 2wd, 4spd and the 2.5L. 293 K kilometers and its needin' some work. Now I need some advice on a manual to power-assisted steering swap. I have a multitude of Cherokees (Limited and Sport models) ranging from 1985 to 1996 at my disposal. Anyone ever done a swap like this? All information is welcome

-Rob

I haven't done it, but if I remember correctly all you need is the pump, hoses, bracket for the pump, new belt, and the new steering box. The power steering box is the same for the 2.5 and 4.0, but the bracket (and possibly the pump, but don't quote me on that) is 2.5L specific.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

4.0L bracketry and a spacer for the top mount will work on the 2.5L I did this in my MJ.. You have to have good alignment of the pulleys or your belt will squeel.. You will have to use the 4.0L steering box. Bolts right in.. The 2.5L steering box has no ports for power steering.

Back