• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dry sound at rear axle

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
'88 with a D-35 rear.

There is a dry sound coming from the rear axle. My service shop suggested keeping an eye on it and waiting until it got worse. I think he is just hesitant to see me invest too much in an old car.

I noticed it a lot more tonight when my kid drove, I was in the back seat.

I would like to do a super 35 rebuild with alloy axles and some kind of selectable locker. Except I have only had the XJ for a few weeks and don't want to put too much into it until I get a better feeling for it's longevity.

Should I hold off for a while, then re-evaluate the situation. Or is it fairly cheap/easy to re-do the rear bearings?

The problem is you really can't be sure its wheel bearings(unless you take the wheel off or if the axle seal is leaking)

Could be r&p gears,carrier bearings or yoke bearings... all of which cost alot to replace and are pretty involved for the weekend wrencher.
a replacement 35 can be had for $80-$90 at a decent junk yard...its the most common rear axle under an xj so there's no shortage of them....

I personally wouldn't waste any money on a 35....you can get a 29spline 8.25 that will bolt right in for around the same price as the 35.The 29spline 8.25 is just under a d-44 strength wise.

29spline 8.25 axles started appearing under xj's in 97...

hope that helped...

Last edited:
outlander said:
The problem is you really can't be sure its wheel bearings(unless you take the wheel off or if the axle seal is leaking)

Could be r&p gears,carrier bearings or yoke bearings... all of which cost alot to replace and are pretty involved for the weekend wrencher.
a replacement 35 can be had for $80-$90 at a decent junk yard...its the most common rear axle under an xj so there's no shortage of them....

I personally wouldn't waste any money on a 35....you can get a 29spline 8.25 that will bolt right in for around the same price as the 35.The 29spline 8.25 is just under a d-44 strength wise.

29spline 8.25 axles started appearing under xj's in 97...

hope that helped...

x2. Don't put any more money into a 35. Find an 8.25 to replace it with. Even the 27 spline is much better than the 35.

If your looking to add some of those up grade items, your would be better off looking for a D-44, there more goodies avalible for a D-44 than a 8.25.

but if I pick up a junk yard axle. isn't there a chance that it too will need rebuild/service soon?

I mean, it may be an upgrade, but may not solve the problem.

bl87xj said:
but if I pick up a junk yard axle. isn't there a chance that it too will need rebuild/service soon?

There is always a chance. Find one with front end damage. Then you can assume it was drivable before the accident. Just make sure the axle ratio is correct. It is way cheaper then trying to fix, or have someone fix, you're axle.

My vote is to find a 29 spline 8.25 or 44 for direct bolt on replacement.

bl87xj said:

yea but thats why they usually have atleast a 30day warranty....drop it in drive it,no noise?you're good...noise take it back for another.

Any resources for complete rebuilt axles?

I would not look forward to pulling an axle from a rig sitting in a junk yard.

What does it intail, what would be estimated shop costs to just have the existing rear axle rebuilt?

What kind of shop do I look for?

If this is too involved It looks like I am going to have to just let it go for a while.

pulling a junk yard axle should be easy....bring a saw! You should just have to cut the u-bolts and the brake lines and it should pull right out with the drive shaft still attached.

You don't want to have the 35 rebuilt. It will be cheaper to get a diffrent axle and much more reliable.

a friend of mine recently had the same dry sound on deceleration with his 35 under his 2000. We had the same argument for a week and he insisted a junk yard axle would just be more problems. Ended up being his pinion bearing for about $800. He could have had several axles for that cost.

josh

Yeah, I am starting to think it might be in the ring/pinion area not the wheel bearings. The sound is different when under slight load as compared to straight out coasting.

This thing is an around towner and weekender. If my best solution is to swap the whole thing out, any reason I shoulddn't just wait until it gets worse?

Nah- if it starts banging, park it, drive it until then. It's no fun when the rear locks up. I had a guy actually seize the outer pinion bearing of an 8.25 from a diff cover pinhole. Thing is, he got it to break free again and kept driving- the race had about 1/2" of slop in the housing.

Back