• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 pinion bearing noise??

ranger125

NAXJA Forum User
hey there my name is carl and i have a 96 xj with 8 inches of lift, 33s and all that jazz. okay here is my question , i swaped in a 8.8 from a 2000 explorer it has 410s and a lsd and when i got it a spun the axel and there was a wrring/growling noise relative to the speed of the pinion ,so i thought maybee low on oil er somthin but now i have it all installed and changed the oil and added the trac lok additive and it is still makin that noise, and there is no abnormal wear that i can see on the ring and pinion and no abnormal shavings on the magnet . i was justwondern if some of there diffs make that noise er is the bearings going and how would i tell?? oh and how hot are they suppose to run caus if i drive like 25 miles it getts pretty dam warm. thanks fer the help

Pinion bearing noises can get really loud since the driveshaft acts like an amplifier. I'd just jack up the tires off the ground and rotate the pinion, feel for any notchiness. The pinion bearings can get really rough without putting metal on the magnet, normally the carrier bearings will leave chunks behind. The noise does sound excessive, worst case a full teardown will show you what needs to be addressed.

edit: this is in the wrong forum by the way, this forum, like the title says, is more for fabrication.

Back