• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS change to optical

cygnus58

NAXJA Forum User
I have read of this in a few posts, but never asked. What year did magnetic to optical take place.
And are the optical units as damned ornery as the magnetics?

I have had a few optical setups on othere vehicles...just as much trouble. Probably even worse on a Jeep that sees a lot of dusty trails and mud.

Yeah i agree, I had an optical Distrubutor on a 69 blazer. worked great until you got the slightest bit of moisture in the cap. it always seemed to condense on the lens and throw off the timing. swapped it out for a magnetic p/u, never had a proplem again.

Just my $.02 worth

Dingo

As I recall, none of the 4.0L CPS units were optical - I don't know what principle the RENIX sensors operated on, but the ChryCo units were Hall Effect. I believe the distributors were all Hall effect for the SYNC sensors.

The optical sensor has the advantage of not worrying about signal strength, but you either need a "reflective" sensor (emitter and sensor on the same side - alignment troubles and keep the targets clean) or a "transmissive" sensor (emitter opposite sensor, triggered by shutter wheel.) Either way, the sensor need to be kept clean, as does the emitter lense. This isn't as necessary with magnetic sensors - but magnetic sensors want replacing at intervals.

Also, when run in the presence of excessive heat and vibration, it's possible for the emitter and/or sensor lense to become misaligned (if the housing softens) and for the sensor to become useless - and want replacing. Then you have to align the thing properly - magnetic sensors are rather more tolerant of misalignment ("flying height," or distance above the trigger setup, is more critical than actual alignment.)

I've used optical trigger distributors before - Mallory has made them for a long while - but they do want to be kept rather clean all the time, and that's just a bit labour-intensive when the operating environment of a Jeep is taken into account.

Back