• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long towing trip next week

kf_chris

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I'm not really asking a question, per se, but just asking general information.

Next week I'm going to be leaving to get a uhual. Saturday I'm going to be changing the oil and tranny fluid in the Jeep. It has fresh plugs and an air filter. Tires are good. I'm getting a hitch installed (Class 2) saturday, for towing of a 5X8 trailer, it won't even be close to full.
The Jeep is in real good condition, but the trip is 1800 miles round trip, and I'll be dragging the trailer 1000 miles.
YES, I have towed before, I'm basically asking for a guestimate for gas mileage, if anyone's towed about, oh, 1300 pounds or so in an enclosed trailer. I'm going to be staying on flat roads the whole way, even though it's about 100 or so miles out of my way, in order to save strain on the transmission.

thanks for any help!

I tow a 2400# pup-up around, and really do not notice that much less gas mileage, of course mine sucks anyways. If you are worried about that, stay at lower speeds, of course that works with or without a trailer behind you. Keeping the tranny in 3rd will help save on transmission, but I will pop it into drive when I hit a particular long stretch of highway that is very flat. Also, get your rear tires a little higher on inflation pressure, it will help keep them a little cooler. Just curious, why are you going with a class 2? Why not just get the 3 and be ready for anything?

Eric

I don't plan on ever towing with this again. If I do tow, I won't drag anything big. No need getting what I won't use.
The route I'm taking is across the panhandle of FL to 95N, both of which should be pretty flat the whole trip. Plan on cruising about 70 or 75 the whole time.

update,

so, getting the upper bolts out of the rear shock mounts is fun, nothing like drilling out 2 or the 4 bolts due to breakage

Jeep did really good, pulling was nice, got good mileage, even with the a/c on and the trailer loaded with about 1300 (or so) pounds. I think I got a best of about 250 miles to a tank (16 gallons) with the loaded trailer today.

we weren't sure about doing that, I think that next week I'll be doing that, depending on how the one bolt setup (not very good I assume) held up from this trip.

It's best to punch the studs out and put new bolts in from the same location, rather than relocating.

That's what I'll probably do when I upgrade.

Just pull the carpet back and have someone hold the top end of the bolt while you attach a nut on the bottom. Or tack weld it in, but I'm not a welder either.

Back