• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard Start..Sort Of.

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
For the past few days weve had temps in excess of 95 here so I think that may be part of this problem but Im not sure.

When I go to start up the XJ for the first time in the morning or the first time in a few hours it takes a little bit to crank over. By that I mean 10 cranks or so before it does. After the first start it will crank over on the 2nd or 3rd crank like normal, but as soon as it has been sitting for a few hours its back to 10 or so.

I had the system checked, battery is fine, starter is fine (just replaced it about 3 months ago) alternator is fine (its putting out something like 103 amps), and the cables are all clean.

I thought possibly the fuel system but if that was the case to me it seems like it would be a hard start every time regardless of how long it has been sitting. I could be wrong though. I thought about changing the fuel filter but I really didnt feel like dropping the tank just to change it, especially since I filled up this morning.

Possibly spark plugs, fuel pump check valve? Ive been told it may be the check valve but I cant seem to find an aftermarket one, it seems like you can only buy the whole pump.

Im not to worried about it, just more of annoyance than anything but I would like to have it taken care of asap as Im going on a 4k mile road trip in about a week and a half.

I should add in that it has 141k on the clock right now just in case anyone is wondering.

I have changed my fuel pump w/o dropping the tank. It's tight but it can be done. Mines a 90 but I think it will be the same with your 00. My fuel filter is on the unibody rail just in front of the rear axle on mine. The sock in the tank is attached to the fuel pump.

Back