• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL, High oil pressure...Help please

el_chupo_

NAXJA Forum User
Today I was driving arround (mid 80s, cloudy. going 55-60)

Looked down and noticed my CEL was on, and checked the guages. Temp was right where it should be, but oil pressure was up arround 55, usually runs arround 40-45. Oil has about 3000 miles on it, but this is the first time anything like this has happened. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

the oil pressure sensor is the most common culprit. it sends a signal to the PCM regarding oil pressure. anything outside the "norm" allowance will result in a CEL. i would start there. give the connecting plug/wiring a good check first for corrosion and/or possible shorting. if it looks good, change the sensor.

passenger side of the engine, where the oil filter screws into the adapter in the block, right on top (or side, depending on year) of that adapter you will see it screwed into the adapter - looks like an oversized mushroom with an electrical plug on it. usually these plugs have a small locking tab that holds them on. you need to locate this tab and pry it up (finger pressure) then pull the plug off.

also..be careful not to mistake the Camshaft Position Sensor for the Oil Pressure Sensor - the camshaft sensor is right next to the oil sensor, and it is much taller and is held to the block by a u-shaped clamp. also the oil pressure sensor usually looks like a wrench would fit on it...and it does which is how you remove it.

Had the codes scanned, guy said it was a miss on 1. Replaced plugs, using Accel wires/cap/rotor. Plugs looked fine.

The sensor (I thought I had found it, you have confirmed) looks fine, Ill see what happens tomorrow,and probably replace this weekend

Thanks

that oil pressure is not abnormal for driving. My Oil pressure sendor does wierd things. My Oil pressure is 55-60 at cold start up. 55 on highway. and around 40psi hot idle.

Back