• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goof accelleration: Need codes!

mountainbiker

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 4door 5-speed 4.0L.

It is a great Jeep overall but I am having a problem when driving it. It tends to be "stubborn" and not want to accellerate. You can press the gas down from a green light and it will start to go then decide that it really doesn't want to. If i take it out of gear and give it some RPM's it will decide to go after put back in gear.

It only seems to happen from a stop. It never happens when I am cruising.

I do have a check engine light on with these codes:

12, 43, & 55.

I think the 12 may have to do with the O2 sensor. I thought it also could be the TCM or a vacuum leak. Any thoughts?

Matt

Code 43 isn't listed in my 95 FSM - but 12 is recent battery disconnect (not a trouble code), and 55 is normal end of sequence. You'd do better on a 97 to get and OBDII reading if you can, because it will give more precise information. I think code 43 is a 96-up code for cylinder misfire. Note, however, that the system is not reading misfire directly here. It is taking readings from the crank position sensor and calculating speed fluctuations from that. In other words, it cannot pinpoint whether the misfire is electrical, fuel or mechanical in nature. Electrical problems in the injectors and harness should come up as a separate code, so I'd start by checking out the plugs and wires and go on from there.

Matthew's right. 12 means the battery's been disconnected within the last 50 starts; 43 means one of the cylinders is misfiring, but without the P-code, I can't tell which; 55 means, as Matthew pointed out, that there are no more codes being "thrown."

After being totally lazy for months, I finally changed out the rotor, cap and wires this afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow I'll do the plugs.

I had some other projects.

But the Check Engine light is not on and the Jeep runs better.

Thanks guys!

Matt

Back