• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBDI

thenav

NAXJA Forum User
Obdi
just curious to see what year the scan checks for the OBDI are available on the late model cherokee's. my brother has a 94 (pre OBD II) and the key trick works, but how many years previous to that? mine doesnt
thefinger.gif

Nav

OBD1 goes from 91 to 95. After 95, there was a transitional period when both OBDII and I were present. 96 has that, and I hear that at least some 97's do as well. 87 to 90 (Renix system) has no OBD. It will read out to a diagnostic system while running but does not set codes, so there's nothing you can read.

I've tried 2 different code readers on my 95 (OBD1) and both times the code readers were unable to connect with the computer.

The OBD 1 plug for our XJ's is directly behind the computer on the driver's front corner.

Matthew Currie said:
OBD1 goes from 91 to 95. After 95, there was a transitional period when both OBDII and I were present. 96 has that, and I hear that at least some 97's do as well. 87 to 90 (Renix system) has no OBD. It will read out to a diagnostic system while running but does not set codes, so there's nothing you can read.
My 96 has both OBD I and II. It was confusing to me when I first bought it, until I figured it out. The OBD II codes pinpoint problems much better, however.

Seems like I've read somewhere that the code reader port is fused. Maybe check all the fuses in the panel under the dash.
Do the interior lights work, and the cigar lighter? The code port is fused along with another circuit, but I can't remember which one.....

Everything works in my XJ, except for the 4wd light. I believe that's due to a bad sensor as the bulb is fine :)

I never thought about checking fuses, because as you said it might be tied in with something else. And if everything works - well......

I'll get out my FSM and manual and see where I can find the code port's fuse! Thanks!

Back