• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME vs RE vs Homefries

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I'm looking at a lift on the XJ to run 31s - probably won't ever go taller, unless anyone here tells me they get stock gas mileage at 80 MPH with 33s...
I've heard the Rubicon Express Superflex is a great kit - ride quality, flex and components quality, its a good company and way better than Skyjacker.
I only heard of Old Man Emu a bit earlier today, but how do they stack up against the field in general and RE in particular? Would a 3" OME kit do well with 31s or would I wind up with rubbing - most folks are saying 3.5"+ is what you want past 30".
Also- a bastard pack and F-150 or ZJ coils. My gut tells me that the ZJ springs would do better than the F-150 coils, but that neither combination is going to make me happy in the long run. Anyone have experience with this?

Any and all info on OME would be helpful. Also, has anyone used Tomken Skids? They are cheaper, and claim to be the same metal thickness as other major manufacturers (3/16). I'm putting my orders in on Tuesday, so any info before then would be great.
Thanks folks.

There is a lot of info on all of this if you use the search. Also you kinda are putting the answers right there in your questions by saying you read this and that about whatever. Search, read, decide, buy, put on, drive, come back and say "i love blah blah" or "i hate blah blah". then the next guy can read your post and go from there................... its a cycle.

Actually, the site tells me "no matches" when I've tried searching for OME - no matter how I spell it. Did you try searching and find good info on OME, or did you assume it was there?

yossarian19 said:
Actually, the site tells me "no matches" when I've tried searching for OME - no matter how I spell it. Did you try searching and find good info on OME, or did you assume it was there?

I ran into the same problem researching OME. Three letter searches (like "old man emu", also) won't work.

Go to google and do:
"+site:naxja.org ome"

There's a sticky on this somewhere.

Ok, the "edit" isn't working for me. The sticky by JeepFreak21 is at the top of this forum.

To answer your question briefly, I really like my OME lift (from DPG). 3" is low enough that I didn't have to worry about driveline vibes, but 31s (BFG AT TA) fit very nicely. I only needed to space out my steering stops by a hair to stop rubbing on the LCAs, but that's a backspacing issue, not a lift issue.

The ride is smoother than stock.

Talk to Dirk at DPG. He knows these applications best. In fact ARB which is OME in America told me to call Dirk. Dirk set me up with 2 1/2 inch springs with an add a leaf. If you get the 3" spring you will get a heavy over load spring if thats what you want. Or just run the 2 1/2" with JKS longer shackles to get your 3". This way you will have soft and flexy and the longer shackle will optimize movement of the spring. Nice things about these springs is you can add more add aleafs to the pack because they arn't like most add a leafs. They are a full lenghth spring that goes just under your main spring. I started carring more weight and now I run a 2 1/2" OME spring with 2 additional leafs in the pack. Nice easy way to customize your suspension.

To search OME here try tis OME*

i have a friend with that ome kit running 30" bfg all terrains, the thing rides like a cadillac-loaded or empty. if they made taller kits i'd definitley buy one. i have their shocks now and they're great.
- i'm guessing the "yossarian" is a catch-22 reference? good book.

yossarian19 said:
Ok. I'm looking at a lift on the XJ to run 31s - probably won't ever go taller, unless anyone here tells me they get stock gas mileage at 80 MPH with 33s...
It's called gears, With 37" 12.50 wide tires I can get 18mpg highway(don't need to do 80) plus or minus

I cheated and did a quick search under my user name because I've replied to a couple of OME posts and came up with some reading materials (the last one is about OME vs RE):

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97984
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44998
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39857

Just a quick overview of my $0.02, I have a 3" kit that I got from Dirk at DPG using the 3" heavy load rear springs and V8 ZJ coils in front. I ended up adding a 3/8" spacer to the front and MJ shackles in the rear and everything sits very level. Ride quality is excellent and does get a little better as I add weight to the back (the ARB on the front takes care of that end). I was able to remove the rear sway bar with no ill effects and with the JKS Quick Disco's that came with my kit, it gets very flexy by removing the front. I'm running 31x10.50 BFG ATs on stock rims and I do get rubbing on the LCAs at full lock and I no longer have any paint in the rear fender wells, but the tires suck right up in the fenders without making contact with anything that could cause damage. I did have to go with an SYE with mine because the t-case drop just wasn't cutting it, but plenty of people have been fine without the SYE. If you want to see some pictures, there is a link in my profile and the last couple pictures show it with both 30's and 31's.

I am very happy with my OME 3" kit from DPG Offroad. I would highly recommend it over the 3.5" RE. I ran that kit before on my other Jeep and there is no comparison if this is your DD. The RE was very stiff and road rough to the point where my back would be hurting after driving in it a while. The OME kit is basically a stock ride at this point. Mine sits a little higher in the back but hopefully it will settle in a few months. I do rub at full lock and occaisonally off road but nothing major. I put RE 4* Shims in the back to level out the pinion angle but the driveshaft is still in a slight bind and there are still some minor vibes. Hopefully a t-case drop will solve that in the next week. Also, I've gone everywhere that my RE took me without any problems...

Thanks for info, folks. I think I'm going 3" OME for now, adding shackles & spacers if I get a new DD and want to run 33s. 2500 miles on the rig this month - rough highway manners not an option...

I have a bit of both in mine- 3.5 RE superflex front springs and control arms, and OME HD packs with a 1.5 teraflex shackle in the back. I think it rides pretty good. Shocks make all the difference tho- dont cheap out and measure properly before buying. I have 5150s in the front and sensatracks in the rear. Some day ill get the OME nitros...

Back