• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche 2wd to 4wd

RD84

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at buying an 89 Comanche, 6cyl., 2wd, auto on the column that is in pretty good shape. I would rather have a 4wd. Is it hard to convert this and what is needed and would this be to expensive to do. Would it be better to hold out and find a 4wd.

Its not hard if you know how.
Its not expensive if you know where to find the parts you need.
Since you are asking these questions I would say wait and get a 4wd it will save you some problems later

Beside the obvious(transfer case,axle,driveshaft,misc) you will need a 4WD transmission!

around here, 4x4 mj´s are kinda rare....

i have 2 2wd mj´s in the family, waiting to be converted to 4x4....
supposedly, having a donor car is the way to go...

WHY??? Do you MJ come onto here and torture us with the fact that you will cannibalize a fine running XJ for you twisted needs. Do you take pleaser in the pain we feal as you rip the guts from one of our own? You people are sick and need help bad! :)
Besides the driveshaft never fit and the spring perches on the rear ends are different on the XJ then the MJ so there. GO A WAY and let our dead rest in peace!!!!:)

PS: Know of any more MJs with good belly pans??? Ohio salt eats them up fast.

I did an entire drivetrain swap on a friends MJ and it went quite well. Had a wrecked donor XJ so it was easy. Went from a 2.5 4 speed 2wd to a 4wd AW4 242 4x4 :). Everything bolts up, and if the holes are there for what you need there is going to be dimples in the floor where they are supposed to be.

If it makes you feel any better I am in the process of completely restoring my original 1984 Jeep Cherokee Chief (one of the 1st xj). My plan is to make it look like it just came from the factory, decals and all.

Back