• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque specs for lug nuts?

condoor

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone give me the torque specs for lug nuts that would be applicable on a 2000. thx-

(yeah - need to invest in a chilton's manual... :eek: )

85-115 ft. lbs. (according to my FSM)

Dave

OK, they probably upped it later. The latest FSM I have is for 1997.

Still, you'll want to cut that by half if you use never-seez (like I do) - meaning 40-50 pound-feet for "treated" studs/nuts.

As an aside, shop monkeys are EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN to use power tools to remove or install my wheels - last time, I'd included a note saying that they would have to replace and re-coat the studs and nuts if they did. I wrote it, the shop boss signed off on it (before work started,) and I caught the guy using a buzz gun.

Got 20 new studs and nuts out of the deal. Free. DO NOT disregard my instructions - I give them for a reason...

5-90

5-90 said:
As an aside, shop monkeys are EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN to use power tools to remove or install my wheels...

This is truly excellant advice. One of the easiest ways to find yourself with warped rotors is to let one of those dipsticks go after your wheels with an impact wrench. Always cinch the nuts up gradually in a pattern of opposite lugs.

Dave

Last edited:
They never listen. I always tell them not too and they do anyway. I watch them and usually have to run out there and stop them. NTB ruined ruined two very expensive wheels and rotors on my 850R before I could stop them. They ended up paying for new ones but it was a huge headache.

My wife got a flat and didn't want to run on the "donut" so she went to Wally World deeming it an emergency. When she got home I/We decided to check their work, our impact gun could not break the lugs (set at proper torque for her car), had to stand on lug wrench to break the lugs....no bead sealer...no new valve...and balance was off. Thank God we have our own tire machine and hi-speed balancer. Will never let them touch any of our vehicles again.

Yeah. When I need tyres, I have a couple spare sets of wheels anyhow. I take in the loose wheels and tell them I'll be back in an hour or so.

"Don't you want them on your vehicle?"
"No, you'll end up buying new parts when Zimbu the Monkey demonstrates an inability to follow simple written instructions."
"?!?"

The only work I really farm out is a short list:
Alignments (I don't have a rack. Yet.)
Tyre Changes (ditto a mounter and a balancer.)
Smog Checks (CA won't let me do my own, and I finally got off the "TEST ONLY" list last year when I confronted them on it. I think CARB has my name on a watchlist now... But, it certainly isn't for high vehicle emissions...)
Any machine work (No shop. Yet.)

Apart from that, there are three mechanics in the country I trust, and two are retired and 2500 miles away. What happened to the "skilled mechanic" anyhow? He seems to have disappeared...

5-90

Back