• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ Diesel Swap??

92XJLimited

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of or heard of someone doing a diesel swap into their XJ? I've got a line on a really cheap 1990 with a blown motor and I was wondering if it can be done with relative ease. Any and all info is welcome and appreciated. Thanks

I've seen threads on this and researched it before. The problem is getting a desiel that meets your needs and then you have to custom fabricate everything. It can be done but it won't be easy. I've seen a TJ with a VW TDI in it. They charged $20k+/- for the install.

I agree with the Isuzu. After the research that was what I thought would be the best install. Plenty of the Isuzu diesels out there right now too.

There is a smaller cummins than the 4bt 3.9 which is way too heavy imo. Cummins makes a 3.3L, i was following a thread of one in a yj for awile. looked cool. there is always a 6.2 detroit they will go a long time if properly maintained.

A Mitsubishi 4D55T from an 80's Mitsu pick-up or Ford Ranger along with a Mitsu auto will bolt up to an NP231 t-case using only an indexing ring as a spacer. It's only a 2.3, though, and may not make the kind of power you want.

Just came across another potential swap. An Isuzu 4BD1T 0r 4BD2T can be bolted up to a 700R4/4L60/4L60E tranny using an adapter from http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/.

These engines were found in Isuzu NPR box trucks and from what I understand, can be had for a pretty cheap price. Lot more compact and lighter than a Cummins 4BT.

how about the Nissan diesel that was used in the Jeep CJ10 Tugs?

bj-666 said:
won't pass emissions again

you wont have to pass emissions again

CanMan said:
Some Cherokee's came stock with diesels. If you can find one, ditch the blown '90 and buy that.

Also, if you want to fab, look into doing a small Isuzu diesel. Or a Cummins BT4.

There is a guy in Dallas that has a 4bt Cummins in his 69 Chevy pickup and it hauls A$$

How much does a 4bt go for? I'm imagining that theres no such thing as a cheap diesy swap... maybe if you found the isuzu + 700r4 and all the running gear cheap... you'd probably still be 4K+ in raw parts...

I'd still love a diesel XJ for my daily driver. If you run veggie grease, you can put 35s on and STILL not care about MPG...

Here in Australia the XJ was introduced in 1997 with a 2.5L turbo Diesel. The motor is Italian (VM) here is a sight for info on....bolts straight in. 2.5L isn't the biggest around but definately economical (under 10 Litres per Kilometer on highway).

Lots of torque in the 2.5L for a small SUV like the XJ no problems in low range in any condition.

Check out specks:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/TDImanual.htm

yossarian19 said:
How much does a 4bt go for? I'm imagining that theres no such thing as a cheap diesy swap... maybe if you found the isuzu + 700r4 and all the running gear cheap... you'd probably still be 4K+ in raw parts...

I'd still love a diesel XJ for my daily driver. If you run veggie grease, you can put 35s on and STILL not care about MPG...

there is a yahoo 4bt group :

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cummins4BT/

they have postings for van fleet sales in various parts of the country. You can get a bread van or frito lay van running for $1,500 ish as of last year. You can drive it home, yank the engine and tranny (usually a turbo 350 or 400) and take the aluminum body to the scrap yard for a major return of your upfront cash. I havent checked in on the group this year, aluminum prices are up A TON because of china buying it all up. so say it costs 2,000 to win an auction on one this year, you would still then get allot back when scrapping it. I would sell the turbo 400 for a 700r4 and then drop it in a rig of your choice.

hello to carefree 29 MPG CJ8, or 1st gen 4runner, or theft recovery/or rollover tj unlimited for me.

Maybe a rust free stockish s10 for a commuter.

Back