• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 speedo and tach stop working

noutlawjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
randomly on my 98 the speedo and tach stop working and my airbag light comes on. then they randomly continue working. i searched and found one thread that says it is the connections in the back of the guage cluster need replaced or cleaned. can anyone verify this? can they be cleaned or do they need replaced?

My 98 is doing the same thing, very annoying. I believe jeep offers an upgraded connector that fixes the problem. If you have to pull the guages you might as well fix it right. My opinion.

Disconnect the battery and let it sit for 20 minutes to allow the airbag ckt to drain.
Remove the center bezel around the radio/heater controls.
Remove the bezel around the drivers side of the dash.
Remove the gauge cluster, 4 bolts IIRC, pull it straight out.
Clean the two self docking connectors with contact cleaner.
Reinstall the gauge cluster, be gentle, don't bend the pins, it's self docking so it should go in smoothly.
Reconnect the battery

This part I do for safeties sake:
Recline the drivers seat and insert the key, turn to on and then start if you want. count to 10, provided the airbags didn't fire I guess it's OK :D

One added thing I did was to *tweak* the pins just a hair, a barely noticeable hair, but enough to make better contact. That was 7 years ago and it's been fine since.

Back