• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't stay running without on the gas

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep is a 96 cherokee 4.0HO auto tranny.

When I go to start it recently it doesn't start normally. I have to floor the gas and she starts up runs good but only if I stay on the gas. Revs up fine but if you let it try to idle where it is supposed to it drops rpm's quickly and dies.
I haven't had to deal with this engine much so I don't know alot about them but do know some. Could a vacuum leak cause this problem? I checked most of them and they were fine. Any help with this would be great! Thanks.

Kim

I do not know if this applies to your model of Jeep but my 99 had the same problem and it was the 'idle control module" that was bad. I replaced it and have had no further problems.

I hope that helps

XJadam said:
I do not know if this applies to your model of Jeep but my 99 had the same problem and it was the 'idle control module" that was bad. I replaced it and have had no further problems.

I hope that helps

IAC motor is dirty, clean or replace... had the EXACT same problem, nobody could help me, just took TB Cleaner to the throttle body and cleaned the IAC while I was in there, no more problem. If the IAC is fawked it won't throw a code either...

Back