• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C drain?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
1995 XJ.

Where's the drain for the A/C? I know it runs into the unibody rail somewhere. I saw a black hose behind the windshield washer resivoir....is that it?

I didn't remove the windshield washer resivoir just yet, didn't get around to it yet. But is it behind there?

My A/C hasn't been cooling well for quite some time. It has a full charge.... There's a slim chance there's air/condensation in the lines, so as a last resorte we will vacuum it and such and put in some fresh R134.

It gets barely cool. It hasn't dripped one drop of water though, so I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. Worth investigating anyway!

Either way I want to relocate the drain hose so it doesn't drain into the unibody rail.

Thanks!

I believe you've still got a charcoal canister in 1995. It's to the left of that, just a small black pipe poking through the firewall, that is unless you still have the 90* bent hose on it.

I dunno, I was looking around the charcoal canister and I didn't see anything. Behind it is a black hose that runs throug the firewall but it looks like it goes somewhere behind the windshield washer resivoir. I assume that's just for the windshield washer nozzles!

So I still didn't find it. And it still isn't dripping :banghead:

The drain is approx. 1/2" dia. It will be located under the charcoal canister going to the engine side of the frame rail. It runs up to a 90* bend going through the fire wall. The drain is the same on both my 92 & 96, so it should be the same on a 95. JIM.

I need to locate mine as well ('93). My A/C cools well but never "drips".

After it has run aways into the hot season the air starts smelling a little like mildew.

Surely the condensate drain line, drain pan, or both needs to be cleared.

Here is a pic. JIM.
HPIM0782.jpg

Yes, to all the above. JIM.

I have a 98 XJ and the A/C drain is pretty close to the charcoal evaporator on firewall left side....it's a short hose around 4" length....To clean this drain, whereever it is, you must remove the hose but take extremely care to clean it, don't use any metal or hard stuff because it's too easy to mess up with the heather core....

I was just planning on extending it to another drainage spot. There's dirt or something in my unibody rail (I think) not allowing it to drain. I was under the impression the drain was directed into the rail to drain through one of the holes under the vehicle?

Blaine B. said:
I was just planning on extending it to another drainage spot. There's dirt or something in my unibody rail (I think) not allowing it to drain. I was under the impression the drain was directed into the rail to drain through one of the holes under the vehicle?
That's a good idea, I just did the same on my 99 because yeah it drains down the "frame" rails, and I don't want those rotting out any quicker than they already will. I extended it and it drops now by the ps lower control arm. Just get a very flexible tubing whatever you use. I believe it was 5/8 ID by the way.

I have never seen one that goes into the frame rail. All of them have been on the outside. When I had A/C & the drain plugged, I blew it out with compressed air. I think I turn the air pressure down as low as the regulator would go. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
I have never seen one that goes into the frame rail. All of them have been on the outside. When I had A/C & the drain plugged, I blew it out with compressed air. I think I turn the air pressure down as low as the regulator would go. JIM.
Well to be technical about it, it drips down a hole into the frame rail I believe. I suppose that may just be on 97+ models though, I haven't paid much attention to my 1990.

Ok, I think I found it. Is it the little nipple thing below that top hose? (the top hose is for the front wiper washer.)

DrainClose.jpg

DrainFar.jpg

There was no water there - that water there is from the washer resivoir leaking as I moved it out of the way :)

I don't think I can remove the drain. It also felt pretty solid (although it was tight - I couldn't even poke a wire inside, although it's at a crazy angle to fananagle with it due to the charcoal canister being right infront of it)

I suppose this is the right thing though? There's a hole directly below it for the water to drain into the unibody rail......stupid! If I'm able to clear it up I'll get a hose. Is this fitting removable? I'd rather be able to take it in than just buying 5/8 hose and it not working lol. Thanks.

Looks like it is missing an elbow. JIM.

Back