• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fans....

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering how much CFM the stock aux. fan will pull?? One of the reasons I'm asking is because I'm wondering about the viability of using two of the aux cooling fans in place of the stock elec/mech. combo.

I'm looking at doing this for a number of reasons. #1 would be that I'm looking for a few extra ponies, as well as any help I can get towards higher MPG. #2 would be that my XJ seems to run cool, all the time. Only when I'm idling in traffic on hot days (80F+), will the temp gauge even come close to the 210 mark. #3 is that I've got a spare aux. electric fan, and haven't had good luck finding a cheap Tauras (or similar) fan to replace the old clutch-driven fan....

(Also, I think the clutch fan is on it's way out.....)

look on go-jeep... just search go-jeep and the website will come up.

he does a whole write up including all CFM ratings and what fans you can use to do this

No one has been able to find out what CFM the stock one pulls. My 10 blade A/C fan pulls around 1800-2000 CFM I estimate by comparing the airflow getting sucked at the front of the radiator compared to similar CFM fans I had running at the other side of the radiator at the same time. There is also three different A/C fans which effect the CFM as well. There is a 6, 8 and 10 blade with the last coming in the 97+ years. See this site of how the three look. http://www.suburbanimports.com.au/jeepparts.htm
There is no way two 6 blades would do the job but there was someone that was running two 10 blade ones and was happy with the results. If everything else is up to scratch in the cooling system, and you dont live in an area that sees 100F+ temps regulary like I do, it could work for you.

1 would be that I'm looking for a few extra ponies,
=====================================
The only time you will see any real HP gain is when the E fan is off.
At the !/4 mile you can just kill the alt before leaving the line and let the car run off the bat of the 1/4. By killing the alt you can see as much as 25 HP. If you have a monster alt.
I think this is were the idea that E fans can save some real HP. If any one has any 1/4 mile times of before and after the replacement of just the M fan with a E fan that show a real improvement (alt on). Please post up. I never
have seen any.
===============================================
#2 would be that my XJ seems to run cool, all the time. Only when I'm idling in traffic on hot days (80F+), will the temp gauge even come close to the 210 mark.
==============================================
Most people on here are trying to cool down there XJs. But, If you don't get codes or bad MPG or runs poor. If you have good heat in the cold part of the winter. (IMO) LEAVE IT ALONE. It aint broken so don't fix it, Else luck.

It's fairly well proven that an electric fan frees up at least a few HP over an engine driven fan. The most common reason, generally, that people do the upgrade is to gain those few HP. In our case, the Jeep tends to run hot so many people are after better cooling as well as more HP.

I run two stock E fans an mine and it always seems to run cool. I guess if I'm going threw some deep mud and workin her real hard it'll get up to 220 or a touch higher but I think that could have more to do with the fact that those radiators only hold about two quarts of water! Also mine is locked withe 33" tsl's.

Back