• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lincoln vs Miller

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I finally decided that I need to bite the bullet and buy myself a welder. Ive also decided that I would like to get a 210 version because I figure it will last me awhile, and will allow me to do more things then a 110 will. May as well pay more now then be unhappy in a couple years.

So welders I am considering:
Lincoln Power MIG 215
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=9853

Miller Millermatic 210
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_210/

They seem to have basically the same stuff. Both have very similar duty cycles, and amp ratings.
Is it ultimately which one is the better price, or brand preference?

I looked at Hobarts as well, and while they are supposedly rebadged Millers, they didn’t look as well built.

So sell me on a welder. Thanks.

I use a much smaller Lincoln 170 and have no problem doing all the welding I need to do. You will like the 220 set up, great duty cycles.
I'm not sure you will ever run into a need for anything bigger than the 170....
Welding 1/2" plates together maybe...
Just my personal experience.

Rick

Miller wins my vote hands down.
After comparing the two side by side and using my buddies Lincoln, there is just no comparison. Granted they are both great welders, but its the smaller details that just makes the Miller that much better. Everything from the wire tensioner to the feel of the gun and the quality of the door latches.

I just picked up a Miller Millermatic 180 (220V) only because I couldn't see myself needing to spend the huge amount of extra money to go to the Milermatic 210. Unless you're going to be welding some pretty tick stuff, I'd pick up the Millermatic 180 and then use the extra money to buy a Miller Performance Series Helmet... that is well worth every penny.

I was afraid people would start to recomend then 180s.
A friend of mine has a miller 210 and loves it. Ive used it to do a fair amount of welding. At school I used to have an old lincoln 215 or something along those lines. I really do like the 220v machines, but if its overkill, then I would have no problem getting a smaller machine to save some coin.

Is the Miller 180 a 220v? I thought it was only a 110, but now that I look at it more closely, Im not sure.

I have the Lincoln PM 215, awesome machine, my local welding supply sells lincoln and miller but say that the wire feed on the lincolns is superior, I have never had a problem with my machine, works perfect everytime!

Starboard M said:
Is the Miller 180 a 220v? I thought it was only a 110, but now that I look at it more closely, Im not sure.

Yup, Millermatic 180 is 210/220/230V. That's what I'm using, again great machine. However, I'm sure you'd be happy with a Lincoln as well, nothing wrong with them. I just prefer to stick with the blue team :D for the reasons in my other post.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_180/

Hey, if you've got the cash jump on the Millermatic 210. I would have, but it just would've ment I'd have to wait longer and I wouldn't have been able to buy such a nice helmet (Miller Perfomance Series).

RCman said:
Yup, Millermatic 180 is 210/220/230V. That's what I'm using, again great machine. However, I'm sure you'd be happy with a Lincoln as well, nothing wrong with them. I just prefer to stick with the blue team :D for the reasons in my other post.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_180/

Hey, if you've got the cash jump on the Millermatic 210. I would have, but it just would've ment I'd have to wait longer and I wouldn't have been able to buy such a nice helmet (Miller Perfomance Series).
Alright, thats why I was shying away from the 180. I think I will end up going with a miller, as I like the blue as well. :gee:
It matches my eyes.

Im going through my dads work, which has some sort of corporate discount thing. That in the end will determine which I get. Im hoping that I will be able to get the 210 for a good price, but from what everyone is saying here, its not needed unless its cheap.

Starboard M said:
I looked at Hobarts as well, and while they are supposedly rebadged Millers, they didn’t look as well built.
I don't know. My Hobart seems pretty well made:
13062003.jpg

However, when you absolutely positively HAVE to turn two pieces of 6" plate into one:
Untitled-1-1.jpg

There's no replacement for displacement.
13062005.jpg

Miller made in USA, Lincoln made in Mexico. Both are good machines but the US always wins out for me. :) Plus I think the prices are pretty simular so for me there was just no reason to even consider the non US machine.

BTW, I have a Miller 210 and I love it. Hobart is owned by Miller and are also very good. They are not just rebadged though. If you look at the Duty cycles and the weight of the machine they are a lighter duty machine. That's not nessesarily bad because they are cheaper than the Millers. When I bought mine I figured it was worth the extra money for the more robust Miller. If you were looking for something better than the Miller 180 but cheaper than the 210 the Hobart would be a good one to look at.

HTH,
B

Bloose said:
Miller made in USA, Lincoln made in Mexico. Both are good machines but the US always wins out for me. :) Plus I think the prices are pretty simular so for me there was just no reason to even consider the non US machine.
B

I thought Lincoln was made in Cleveland, Oh., I remember a show about them being non-union and paying employees for what they produce instead of hourly.

I did some searching on this and the best I could find is that some Licoln product lines are imported. I'm guessing that only the higher end machines are made here in the US. I'm thinking the 215 is not high enough on the food chain though. Likely just their inductrial machines. Whats funny is that Lincoln bought Century and all of the Centiries are made here.

I'll do some more checking,
B-loose

You live in the bay area, go to the welding shops, we have some good ones, they are covered in blue! For this area you have to go MILLER! Lincoln don't like CA!

Lincoln did not even show to Vagas for the welding convention because of "too many sinners" or at least that is what the shop guys told me.

There is a really good shop in Mt. View on Old Middlefeld, also lots of good shops in SJ area ARC is near the sharks tank.

Do your self a favor, talk to the shops, and remember they are the ones you will end up going to for parts etc. You don't have to buy from them, but listen to what they like.

Edit: on a side note I have Lincoln, Miller, hobart, and some other nice stick welder, but I still prefer Miller.

at work here, we have 3 production full time 24-7 TIG machines, 2 heavily used Mig machines, and a couppla plasma cutters...

At the start of last summer, they were all blue... we bought a few red units, which this summer I do not see... The Lincoln Pulse mig that we bought isnt in the shop anymore...

when you need the machine to work all the time - it better be blue...

My Lincoln has never caused me any problems, runs like a champ whenever need it to. I did a fair amount of research and came to the conclusion they are basically the same quality machines but some say the wirefeed mechanisms on the lincolns are slightly superior, but it is such a biased thing with two equally large schools that say Go Red only, or go blue only, blah blah blah, what is this colors, cryps vs bloods? hehe, the main reason I went with my lincoln is the guys at the welding shop down the street recomend it over miller for whatever reason, if I ever have any problems they will take care of me.

My personal opinion is that you'll find far larger differences in the drivers than in the vehicles.

Skullvarian said:
the main reason I went with my lincoln is the guys at the welding shop down the street recomend it over miller for whatever reason, if I ever have any problems they will take care of me.

Same point I was trying to make, find out what the shops near you like have service and carry parts for.

Ok I called Lincoln the other day to find out where their welders are made. It took talking to four different people before I got someone who could "look up" where they were made. That's sort of dissapointing that no one there knew that right off the top of their heads. anyway, what I was told is this,

The 185 MIG is now made in Mexico. They were made in the US until about 6 months ago, according to them. The 215 MIG is now made in the USA. They were made in Mexico until about 2 years ago. With Miller, Hobrart, and Century they are all made in the US at this point. For this reason I personally would prefer a Miller or Hobart. But if you don't care where stuff is made the Lincoln are good welders. If it matters though all of our welders we use for production are Millers.

HTH,
B

Back