• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender flares for a '98???

The Adam Blaster

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so i've got a problem.
I have my 33's ready to go on, but i find out that the local badges kind of like to ticket guys with tires running outside the wheel wells with a $250 ticket...
So, i need some decently wide flares.
Now, i see that Bushwhacker has some good looking flares, albeit a bit pricey, but whatever. Of course they only list the flares for the XJ up to '96.
Can anyone tell me if they have successfully used some '96 or lower flares on a '97 or later model? And if there was a problem fitting them, what was it?
Looking at the model years, i can't see the difference in the model years from the side, i just can't see why the flares wouldn't fit... :wierd:

I was just reading up on a set of flares from Rusty's. They say that their flares will work on 86-01 models and they are $349. They are also paintable if that is of any concern to ya. I dont know why Bushwackers would not be the same on years as well......

You can use the bushwackers on the 97+. They don't list them because you would have to remove, or modify the plastic bumpergaurd right behind the fender flare because it would be in the way. (no big deal at all) The pre 97s didn't have this bumper guard that wraped around, and their rear fares went all the way to the bottom of the body on the back portion unlike the 97+'s

Bushwacker probably says they won't work because they don't want those people who don't really know anything about their vehicles buying them then going to put them on and find out they don't fit because of the endcaps, and get mad at them.

jeep1002-1.jpg

80538578YmespW_fs.jpg

Last edited:
Bushwacker fender flares suck.

If you wheel your rig, don't get the BW's.

If your only wheelin consists of stopping off at Macys to sample the perfumes, then they work great.

In summation: Bushwackers belong on poseur beach cruisers.

KarlVP said:
Bushwacker fender flares suck.

If you wheel your rig, don't get the BW's.

If your only wheelin consists of stopping off at Macys to sample the perfumes, then they work great.

In summation: Bushwackers belong on poseur beach cruisers.

I wish i knew that before i bought them :-( After reading up a LOT, it seems the general consesus is, yeah; they suck. They just kinda... fall off. Luckily, I haven't installed them so I'm gonna sell them. I feel clever now.

I guess the BW's are out for me than. I try to get out as often as i can, and hopefully this summer it will be at least a half-dozen weekend/camping trips. Especially with the brand new 33's. :cheers:

I'll check out Rusty's and see what they are all about.
Thanks for the info guys!

I've got the Rustys flares, they don't fall off but they crack easily up here
in the cold. They are made be a company from Austrailia. I like that the rear
one dosen't mount to the door. They do alow for quite a bit of trimming and
don't wrap around under like the Bushwacker ones and you can use as many
rivets as you want to mount them. I think to use them on a '97 or newer you just
buy 2 sets of front ones. Call them up.

The Rusty's do break pretty easy. They are the best design and I wish they would come out with the more flexible design he's talked about on his web site for a long while...

Gaius, I thought Rusty's already had thier more flexible design out.

Its not like the bushwakers fall off just driving down the trail. I know a few Cherokees that wheel, and only once has one had a problem, and that was because he hit a tree, fauked the fender and the flare fell off. He replaced the fender and remounted the flare, hasn't had a problem with them.

None of the TJ guys I know have said one complaing about thier Bushwackers.

KarlVP said:
Then they don't really wheel.
If you mean they don't purposely smash themselves into trees or rocks, then yes. But other than that, they do wheel really hard.

Bushwackers, from personal experience, not just internet talk, really aren't bad like people say.

Begster said:
Gaius, I thought Rusty's already had thier more flexible design out.

Its not like the bushwakers fall off just driving down the trail. I know a few Cherokees that wheel, and only once has one had a problem, and that was because he hit a tree, fauked the fender and the flare fell off. He replaced the fender and remounted the flare, hasn't had a problem with them.

None of the TJ guys I know have said one complaing about thier Bushwackers.
I don't think so. If so he hasn't updated the web site. Maybe I should call him. From his web site:

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=XJFLR&Category_Code=BODY

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] These flares do give a little but they are not as pliable as factory flares. They will take a good deal of abuse but if slammed against a rock, they may break. If you're looking for flares that can withstand heavy abuse, we'll be releasing a much more pliable version of our flares in the upcoming months."[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ya, I saw that too, which is why I had changed my original statement. I would check on that, because I swear I have heard some people talking about their new style flares that are more flexable.

Back