• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent housing?!?

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
well ben(dumptruck) an i think that my housings bent cause my tires are both wearing on the outsides of the tire.....and i have had this axle on there since..id say october...and the tire wear was fine until about a month ago and they wore on the outsides....he either thinks that or simply my alignments off...and this axle was invlved in a roll over (it rolled twice).. any input?!

will it make cluking noise if i turn of hit a bump hard?!

All the bent D30 housings I've seen were bowed down in the middle, which would tilt the tires in. Have you tried the obvious check of putting a level across the face of the tires? I'm betting your problem is just toe-in alignment which you can check with a tape measure. You can also measure the distance from the ground to the center and ends of the house too.

KarlVP said:
Maybe. But there are lots of things that can do that.

It could be that your unit bearings are just worn out.

ah ya it prolly is because the guy i got it from NEVER did anything to it... when i got i had to replace the u-joints, and the hubs, and im dam sure the bearings are dead...it had over 230000+ miles on it...

lawsoncl said:
All the bent D30 housings I've seen were bowed down in the middle, which would tilt the tires in. Have you tried the obvious check of putting a level across the face of the tires? I'm betting your problem is just toe-in alignment which you can check with a tape measure. You can also measure the distance from the ground to the center and ends of the house too.
mmm ya my tires are wearin on the outside... and i kno its really had to see(if it was bent), but the axle looks to be striaght to.. theres was no cracks or anything of the unusal sort befor i put it in...o and how do u check that with a tape measure?!

Sounds like your toe.

pick two specific spots on the inside of each front tire, the front measuremeant should be ~1/8" shorter than the rear measuremeatn

blackdoutxj said:
mmm ya my tires are wearin on the outside... and i kno its really had to see(if it was bent), but the axle looks to be striaght to.. theres was no cracks or anything of the unusal sort befor i put it in...o and how do u check that with a tape measure?!

Measure the distance from the tube to the ground at the ends versus in the middle. Mine was 1/2" closer to the ground in the middle than the ends after my unintentional air time.

Back